Author Topic: Slow and Steady Progress  (Read 5563 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Re: Slow and Steady Progress
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 03:14:39 pm »
Hi Wayne,
Nice to hear that you still notice improvement!  :) It helps me a lot to read about that activity helps that much. I'm 14 days post-op and my walks are not very comfortable these days. Not as they used to be - they are more like a struggle against dizziness and trees and other things are bouncing around, but I'm born stubborn so I keep on walking and I also try to do my balance exercises. They are not very nice either!  :P  Hopefully, I will enjoy the walks as I did before surgery in time.

All the best to you,

Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

wcrimi

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 05:23:17 pm »
Helene,

Congratulations on being post op.  ;)

I feel confident based on my experience that your walks and other activities will improve with time.  It won't be steady. There will be peak days, followed by a decline, followed by a new peak etc....  Sometimes you don't even notice the improvement until one day you'll look around and say to yourself, "I'm not as dizzy as I used to be. I'm seeing better etc..."

Hang in there!

Feel free to contact me privately if you want to discuss your progress etc...

Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:19:41 am »
Hi Wayne -

All great news -- it's surprising how sometimes improvements just seem to suddenly happen.  I suspect we experience slow improvement and don't notice it until we do something really challenging -- then you have the WOW experience.

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

kawman600

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 08:14:54 am »
its great to hear that it does improve -as i am 6 weeks post surgery and have been very frustrated with the progress,at times wondering if i will ever improve-so its good to read that it just takes time-thanks

wcrimi

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »
Wendy,

Good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you.  I actually just had a bit of more challenging week, but I am looking forward to my next peak!  ;)

kawman600,

Congratulations on being post-op. I remember 6 weeks well. I promise you it will get better than that, but you are going to have to be very patient. The improvement does not come rapidly or even steadily.  I you are like me, you will have good days and bad days but the good ones will slowly get better and the bad ones won't be quite as bad. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wcrimi

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 01:03:19 pm »
I'm a little over 8 months into my recovery now.  I had a bit of a stressful week and wasn't feeling that well (a friend passed away, and another lost her mother).  Yesterday however, I was invited to a beach party for a friend that just turned 50 years old. I had a great time and was feeling so good, I decided to have a few drinks for the first time since surgery.  ;D  I wasn't sure how it was going to impact my wonky head so I've been avoiding it. But yesterday just seemed "right" to test that out.   Happy to report I handled it well (quite well in fact). All in all, I would say I'm reaching a new peak in my recovery this weekend. This is closest I've felt to being "myself" since surgery. I'm still a little wobby at times (especially when I turn my head while in motion) and I'm still a bit "wonky" whenever I'm walking/jogging, but it's less severe on most days.  Unfortunately, a bad day or few days still get mixed in here or there and I get a little scared and frustrated, but I would say I am STILL IN A LONG TERM IMPROVING MODE.  So those of you fresher than 8 months or similar to me, you can  continue improving this far out, but slowly.