Author Topic: pain in face after surgery?  (Read 2031 times)

lauralynn

pain in face after surgery?
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:04:56 pm »
I am wondering if anyone having had the AN removed, has had severe pain in the face?  I am asking for my friend, lauralynn-she had surgery on april 14, and came home without pain meds-no severe pain...now almost 2 months later- out of no where, the left side of her face, mainly just above the corner of her eyebrow - she has pain so severe she tells me it is just unbearable.  if you have chatted with her or know anything about her situation she is very strong and has a very high tolerance to pain.  she is hoping it is maybe the nerves waking up??? any input on this? -   we are headed to the ER because, after several attempts she has not yet been able to reach her doctor.

kris
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: pain in face after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:27:19 pm »
Kris ~

I'm afraid that I have no real explanation for Lauralynn's sudden facial pain (very likely nerve-related) but I just wanted to offer my hope and prayer that she'll quickly find relief at the ER.  Let us know what happens.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:40:48 pm »
I suffer from terrible facial pain.  Last night was just dreadful, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Mine started immediately after surgery, almost three years ago.   Please have your PM me. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »
Unfortunately, it almost sounds like trigeminal neuralgia-like pain.  I truly hope she found relief through the ER!

Let us know.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:56:48 pm »
Anne Marie, what type of surgery did you have?  Gamma Knife, FSR, Cyberknife, cut-in-the head?
Sharon

yardtick

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:03:18 am »
Sharon,

I had a translab Sept '06.  So I guess you could say a cut in the head.  Cute, that made me smile.  My tumour is on my facial nerve and it was only debulked.  I will need a nerve graft one of these days.  So I am also a watch and wait until that day approaches.  I have suffer from headaches since I was a kid.  The headaches got worst the moment I woke up from surgery and the facial pain started that day and has been getting progressively worse ever since. 

Please do not let all the problems I've been having discourage you from a decision.  Mine is a very unique case.  My original Dr was not prepared for what he found when he cut me open.  I got rid of him after I joined this lovely, supportive forum.  There really is strength in knowledge and numbers!

Anne Marie

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:18:32 am by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

sharonov

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:35:28 pm »
Anne Marie, I'm so sorry.  I know what the pain is like and it is not fun.  Does any drug or combination of drugs help?

yardtick

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »
Sharon,

To answer your question, yes I do take a combination of drugs.  Effexor, neurontin, toradol, ativan, Excedrin Migraine, Advil T-3's......some days anything I can get my hands on.  Lots of hot and cold packs.  Lots of rest.  The fatigue is a combination of drugs and tumour. 

I have an appointment Dec 11 with a Pain Clinic.  I live in Canada and with what I have being rare, and I'm not dying, I have to be patient and wait.  I'm very worried about my liver.  My family physician is suppose to watch my liver function, but I feel like I'm always bothering him. 

At the moment I am on long term disability from work.  I worked for a little over 19 months after my surgery.  I do not know how I did it.  I was in continuous pain, exhausted and mentally distraught.  I am thankful my family physician realised I was beginning to crumble and put me off. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

lifeisgood

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »
I've been on effexor for almost 6 months.  It was recommended by my neurosurgeon when I showed up balling in his office over the pain.
He asked about effexor.
I take it everyday partly b/c I was scared of what would happen if I didn't take it daily.
It has helped.
It's totally wiped out my panic attacks I was getting driving on the expressway.

Unfortunately the imitrex does not work like it used to so I need to find something else to help kill the pain if it gets too bad.
Also very very hormonally linked.

I am curious if anyone has gotten an image (MRI) of the trigeminal nerve to see what type of damage is done. It was recommended last fall but
I haven't followed up with it.

Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

sharonov

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:52:38 pm »
The "test" they give to see if it's Trigeminal Neuralgia is to prescribe Tegretol (carbamazapine)  If it helps, then the Trigeminal nerve is involved.  For me it was like magic, though now I need double the dose.
Sharon