Author Topic: Hearing with 1 ear...a pain in the...  (Read 6720 times)

Static

Re: Hearing with 1 ear...a pain in the...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 04:16:30 pm »
Sometimes I have trouble actually falling asleep, but once I do............. if I'm laying on my "good" ear, nothing wakes me, alarms, dogs, husbands, kids, unless someone actually touches me or shakes me.  It can be a blessing, but also a major PITA to have to depend on the kids getting themselves up for school as well as waking me in time to get ready for work!  It means so much to be able to relate to so many people who are going through all the same things.  I feel like I'm not as crazy as I originally thought.  Then again................. ;)
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 04:53:56 pm »
Did you guys see the alarm watch on Dr. Phil a few weeks back?  It's an alarm designed for those who sleep through the alarm...I'm sure it's not cheap but looked interesting...gave you a buzz to gentely wake you during the most optimal time during your rem cycle...maybe he'll send us a few to try out?  lol

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 05:14:01 pm »
I actually enjoy sleeping through all those things, but I do have to work... >:(

Have found that my dog is pretty good at waking me up when I miss the alarm.  All and all, it's a PITA sometimes, but I've learned to deal with it.  I just hate having to ask people to repeat themselves...especially when it's more than once.  Most of my good friends are very patient with me.  In fact, my boyfriend will move over to the non-AN side to talk to me before I even have a chance to think about it.  He's very good about it all. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 06:07:16 pm »
Gennysmom who are you kidding..he knows he'll got no where fast if he can't remember which ear to whisper sweet nothings into or honey can you ??????  lol

I just quit setting the alarm, Im so thankful I have a good kid or he could stay home every morning and i"d not realize he was here until lunch time  lol

luv2teachsped

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 06:19:21 pm »
For those of you who sleep through the alarm.  There are vibrating alarms that clip to your pillow.  The have a sound as well as vibrate.  I didn't think it would work but it does.  Harris communications is one online catalog which carries this .Anyone find smoke alarms with a strobe for a decent price?  I've looked everywhere and the cheapest I've found is around $129.  I live alone , so everyone has suggested it. luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Raydean

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 06:34:33 pm »
Most cell phones have a alarm setting, the tone is different from your cell ring and different then a regular alarm clock.  For some it's easier to wake up to.  It's worth a try if you all ready have a cell phone. My phone is set on the highest sound setting and I swear it's loud enough to wake the neighbors.

Best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 10:29:11 pm »
Harris is in my back yard...wonder if employees get a discount on the junk I mean stuff they make? 

Never thought about an alarm.  Interesting. Learn something new everyday!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 10:41:05 pm »
Smoke alarm....hmmm...hadn't thought of that.  Once again though, my dog is real good about waking me up if need be.  My neighbors daughter is deaf from birth (but now has a cochlear implant)...I should check with her for other ideas of things I might not think about.  If she has any thoughts I will post them.  I've lost my hearing so gradually I just adapted, and have never really considered some of these things. 

Batty, stay away from the vibrating alarm.  Bob might get jealous.   And by the way, HEY!  He whispers into my AN ear just to annoy me.  Doesn't bother with the regular ear.

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

thecakes

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 06:31:58 am »
  The maintenance guys for the furnace are comming again this morning and this time I'm awake!

DeniseSmith

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 07:10:34 am »
I sleep on my good ear also.  My sister bought me an alarm clock that has shaker attachment.   You put it a disk like device either under your pillow or between the mattress and it shakes the bed or it has a very loud alarm.  It also has a large display screen.  I love it.  My sister only paid around $50.00 for it. 

I still hit the snooze, but it does work. I just don't want to get out of bed.

Denise

Static

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 06:33:11 pm »
Hmmmmmm, can you just make it shake your bed when you want it to???  :-X
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right