Author Topic: Upcoming ANA Conf & new hearing device  (Read 4522 times)

Jeepers

Upcoming ANA Conf & new hearing device
« on: July 27, 2009, 05:53:48 am »
During my "removal of the stitches" appt. last Monday, I asked Dr. Battista about the BAHA and he mentioned that he will be speaking at the upcoming ANA Conf in Chicago about hearing enhancement options. He mentioned a new device is coming on the market in October - similar to BAHA (rather than TransEar).

I don't have any further information ... anyone else familiar with this?

Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Jeepers

Re: Upcoming ANA Conf & new hearing device
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:02:33 am »
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10059.0

maybe this is what he's talking about ...
Recovering well!

grega

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:48:18 am »
Thanks Jeepers for starting this post.  I'd be very much interested in more on this too.  I did look at the link to Science Daily for info.

As I won't be attending the ANA conf in Chi-town, please try to remember to add anything on this subject by Dr. Battista after the conf.

Thanks!  Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:32:42 pm »
Joyce -

Dr. Battista tells me that he will be talking about Cochlear's new device - the BP100 - and Octicon's new device - the Ponto - slated to make it's debut in October - in his symposium session. 

The Ponto will be Octicon's first venture into the BAHA market; up until now they have only manufactured conventional hearing aids.

The BP100 is an upgrade to the Divino - basically more bells and whistles.

From what I recall, Dr. Battista also told me that he will talk about how to upgrade to a BP100 (from a Divino) in his session. 

Cochlear - one of the symposium sponsors - will have an exhibit booth at the symposium and when they asked me to help them staff their booth I mentioned that there has been a lot of talk on the Forum about the BP100.  I'm hopeful they will bring one along for all of us to see in person. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:56:51 am »
Hi J & J,

Re the BP100, you say, "I'm hopeful they will bring one along for all of us to see in person."   AND to snap one on!   ::)

Remember my experience of trying to drown my Divino tester in beer?  If you do get a chance to help staff the Cochlear booth, please ask if Cochlear ever did any tests re "liquid tightness" .... no pun intended .....  ::)  ::)   

Aside .... perhaps the Divino tester was so surprised and happy to be in beer, it didn't want to die .... HAHA   ::) ::) ::)

Be sure to inform us of the baha details post-conference.

Thanks .... and stay happy!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jeepers

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:47:50 pm »
Thanks for the info, Jan. Dr. B told me I can go ahead and schedule the BAHA implant ... or wait to get more details on the Ponto. Hmmm ... nice to know a new product is coming to market, but am also weighing the confidence of a tried and true appliance. BAHA seems to have rave reviews.
Recovering well!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 06:37:29 am »
Jeepers -

I'll defer to Dr. Battista on this one - but personally I'm not sure I'd go with the Ponto.  Nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Cochlear volunteer.

I just think that something brand spanking new from a company (Oticon) that hasn't manufactured a BAHA device before isn't something I'd put my money on.  If it were a few years old and reviews were good (or if the device wasn't costly), I'd do it - but at this point in time I'm with you on the tried and true idea.

I'd definitely schedule the surgery because whichever device you ultimately choose - Cochlear BP100 or Oticon Ponto - the parts that are implanted into your skull are the same.  That's the nice thing about a BAHA - you can mix & match devices and nothing in your head ever has to change  ;D  

Dr. Battista makes you wait 90 days post op for calcification so when that occurs both the BP100 and the Ponto should be available.

Greg -

I'll try to remember to ask the Cochlear reps @ the symposium about the Divino and beer - I won't mention any names though  ;)

Jan
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:39:00 am by leapyrtwins »
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

rust1975

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »
I have to add my two cents here. As a lifetime bone conduction hearing aid wearer, and new Baha patient (surgery on June 16th), I'm more interested in the Ponto than the BP100 I'm scheduled to receive. Oticon has been making more than just "conventional" hearing aids; they make my bone conduction aid and have for years. The quality is the best I've ever owned and used. And I have no doubt they're improved upon Cochlear's design, or at the least matched it. I've never had to have any of my hearing aids serviced and I've used basically three in my lifetime (I'm 34). I've only switched when a new model came out.

Not to mention, but the Ponto's small size is a big drawing point for me. Now the question: How do I get my BP100 swapped out for a Ponto?

Even if I can't, I plan to pay out of pocket for the Ponto since I plan to have one or the other as a backup anyway.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:46:26 am »
Rust -

thanks for the positive feedback on Oticon - good to know.

BTW, what is a bone conduction hearing aid?  I don't believe I've ever heard of one - unless we're talking about something like the TransEar (and I'm not sure if that's bone conduction or not).

How much smaller than the Divino (or the BP100) is the Ponto?  I noticed it's a different shape, but I can't imagine being able to handle anything smaller than my Divino and still get it attached to my head easily.

You might want to talk to Oction as the launch for the Ponto comes closer (October, from what I've heard) about a swap out.  I'd imagine they'd give you some kind of incentive, but I could be wrong.

Jan