Author Topic: 5 weeks postie  (Read 3155 times)

Darin

• The Running Tumor
5 weeks postie
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:48:39 pm »
  Just wanted to share my 5 week progress report...all things considered, I am doing really well. I went to get my first post-op haircut today, and other than feeling sorry for the hair cutter, it looks pretty good. My head on the right side, especially around my ear is extra sensitive. I don't think there is a 'gentle' way to use clippers, but I would suggest waiting as long as possible to get a hair cut. Not really painful, but very uncomfortable is a good description of it. I think it looks good though. 8)
  I had serious voice issues after surgery, and swallowing was difficult as well. The past week, my voice has made a huge and fast comeback, and it's back to about 95% strength. It is funny pre-surgery how I never thought twice about having a voice, and now I am so thankful to have that part of me back. Swallowing has become a non-issue as well.
  I have gotten a little bit of movement back in my cheek, and lower corner of my mouth. That is really exciting. I was beginning to wonder if it'd come back at all, but at the 4 week-ish mark it started to move.
  I am going to Physical Therapy for my balance issues twice a week, and have made huge improvements there. I brought a cane home with me from the 8 day hospital stay, and today I went on a two mile walk at a normal pace! It's hard to believe how tired and over-all 'junky' I felt a month ago. I would definitely recommend going to PT twice a week, and doing the exercises that are given out. I think this is a huge part of my recovery.
  I just drove for the first time a few days ago, I think it was more fear of getting into an accident than actual ability that kept me from driving. I don't really like driving still, as the famous 'wonky-head' issue is very present when I turn my head from side to side. But then I look at all the crazy drivers on the road, and feel pretty confident I am better than at least half of them out there  ;)
  One thing that is weird is half my mouth never really tasted anything for about a month, and now instead of nothing, I taste a gross metal/aluminum flavor on my right side all the time. It's really quite strong. And gross.
  The craziest side effect of my surgery, has been the right side of my hair is/has been growing slower than the left side! I noticed my left bangs were longer than my right. Has anybody else noticed this, and does it go away? So weird. What a crazy, crazy recovery process.
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 5 weeks postie
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »
Darin,

I can't believe its 5 wks already! well done!  Well, as a licensed hairdresser, your hair will be fine..... :)    I can, however, relate about the voice. I had a thyroid tumor that overlapped my vocal nerve.  Honestly, my voice has not been the same since the thyroid surgery.  I listen to my voice now on our answering machine, voicemail at work, etc... and its not the same and others have noted it to me... I actually cannot scream, if need be (which worries me, in case there is an emergency that I need to).  I'm glad your voice is coming back and hoping you don't sound like me.... (I actually sound like my dad now... low, grovely voice. Some here that have spoken to me will attest to it).

Wellness wishes continue your way and please keep us updated on how things are going!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:36:28 pm »
Hey, Darin!

Thanks for the update.  I was pleased to learn that your immediate post-op issues are resolving (as they often do).  I'm sure your hair will be fine as to the best of my knowledge (I'm not a barber/hairdresser) surgery shouldn't have any effect on it.  I had the surgery followed (3 months later) by 26 radiation treatments and none of that affected my hair growth.  Resuming driving is always a bit of a recovery milestone and I'm glad you tried it.  When I resumed driving I experienced the same 'wonky head' feeling when turning my head before changing lanes or whatever, but it does resolve.  I think just doing the head moves helps.  I know walking helps with balance restoration.  At least it did for me.  The 'taste thing' is random but annoying.  I  effectively lost my sense of taste in the months prior to my AN diagnosis and subsequently lost a lot of weight because of not having an appetite.  Fortunately, immediately after my surgery my sense of taste returned.  In fact, I think it's even sharper than before!  However, I've managed to keep the weight off by being more aware of what - and how much - I'm eating and cutting way back on snacks and 'junk food'. 

Darin, you seem to moving right along with your recovery and I trust you'll be pretty much back to normal before very long.  Your experience should be an encouragement to those contemplating AN removal surgery.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joe B

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:05:44 pm »
Darin,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear everything is going well for you. I have/had most of the same issues that you speak of(except for the hair thing). It all gets better/easier as time passes.
  I also have the metalic taste on my AN side. I started to notice it about a month before surgery and hoped that it would be gone after the surgery. After surgery I didn't really notice the metal taste(or any taste for that matter) on my AN side but now 2 months postop it seems to be back, not all the time, but when it is there it seems stronger than before. Hopefully the metalic taste will dissapear over time.
  It sounds like you are also doing well with your balance issues. Keep up the walking, you will be running before long.

Gotta go...I'm going to attempt to throw the football with my son!!

Happy healing

Joe B.

2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
5 weeks and getting movement already - Yahoooo.  Glad to hear you are feeling better.
I too had the horrible metalic taste in my mouth, I ate freezies and it really helped. It went away so I am sure yours will too! Patience - it's an ugly word but so true in our recovery!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »
Hi Darin,

Looks like you are making great progress. Best of luck on your recovery. I am sure the taste buds will clear up eventually.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 06:52:56 pm »
Darin, great news. I agree about the physical therapy -- I really feel it has helped me a lot too!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:35:04 pm »
Thanks for the update, Darin.

Sounds like things are par for the course.

Ah, metallic mouth.  I remember it well  ;D

This too shall pass - it's hard to say when though.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:43:55 pm »
Darin,
Crazy, crazy recovery process is so true! And everyone has a different story to tell.
The metallic taste should go away. It's great if you have to lose weight.....
Sounds like you are doing AWESOME for 5 weeks out. Still keep listening to your body cues.
Guys are notoriously overachievers post op!
Keep up the good work.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty