Author Topic: Numbness in Lip/Face  (Read 1895 times)

Marie in CA

Numbness in Lip/Face
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:23:09 am »
I am a year and a half post CK and have been doing really well for a while. But, in the last few days I have been noticing a slight numbness in my left (AN) side of my face and today there is like a half inch vertical line of numbness across both lips in the left side. The numbeness is only in my face nowhere else on my body.

I never had facial paralysis and prior to the CK only had numbness when exposed to really loud sounds. For example, walking into a mall at Christmas, I felt like someone slapped the side of my face.  But my office is really quiet.

I don't have a follow-up with my neuro currently scheduled until my annual in December.  Does this sound like something I should call them about early or just wait until then?

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Numbness in Lip/Face
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »
Yes, others have complained about this.  This showed up on me before I had any treatment.  My trigeminal nerve is doing a tango with the AN and i have numbness on all of the AN side of my face.  You might call your doctor and ask them about this, although, to be honest, I don't know what they can do about it.  Those nerves are very sensitive.  As someone on here put it once, AN is the gift that keeps on giving.   :(

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Numbness in Lip/Face
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:26:48 pm »
Hi, Marie ~

I believe the facial numbness you're experiencing is relatively normal and may have something to do with residual tumor swelling.  I've had trigeminal nerve sensations the past few months (but no real numbness) following surgery and FSR three years ago.  I'm due for my annual MRI soon and that will give me the opportunity to run this by my doctor.  I'm not overly concerned, because I think I know what's happening (residual swelling as the tumor continues to 'die').  However, a call to your neurosurgeon may help settle your mind as to whether this onset of a slight numbness is normal or something to be concerned about.  I suspect it's the former.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.