Author Topic: is dyig your hair post operatively safe?  (Read 2951 times)

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
is dyig your hair post operatively safe?
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:35:25 am »
Hey all.

I am alive and kicking  ;) and taking my first chance to write in the post op section, that feeling is rather a mix of both wierdness and awe. I am very busy though with my studies, that is the only reason I stayed away for so long time. Now I am on a summer holiday but that only applies to my university studies, I go to work every day!

So my I was wondering about how safe it is to dye my hair after my surgery? Not that i am strongly convinced to do it, but several weeks ago noticed my first white hair having always naturally black black hair. So you know what a serious shock it was for me! I would like to ask you if any of you have had this problem and what they undertook!

Have a great day!
x
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Kaybo

Re: is dyig your hair post operatively safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:55:16 am »
Hrissy~
I think think that it has been plenty long enough now...they just don't want you to do it for the 1st couple of months.  I know about the whole gray thing..at least my hair is a dishwater mix, unlike your dark hair so it is not quite so obvious!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:25:55 am »
Hi
I think I was given the green light to dye my hair at about 1 month post op. If you are unsure ask your surgeon-they get this question all of the time!

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:24:33 pm »
That was one of my first questions at my first post-op check up.  It was about a month after my surgery.  As long as the scar isn't open it should be fine.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:22:15 pm »
I was given the okay the day I got my staples removed.  I waited a week longer and covered my new gray hairs that I didn't have BEFORE the surgery.  Even my surgeon commented on how my hair had turned gray overnight, but only on the AN side!!  Strange!!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:30:44 am »
I had lightlights about 4 months post op.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »
Hi Hrissy,

It sounds like your life has been busy as always.  I can't ret should be oikay to color your hair at this point as long at the incision is completely healed.  When you have dark hair (mine is not black but gray hair shows up quite well in brown hair too) gray hairs do kind of stand out more.  Go for it if you want to,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 02:29:33 pm »
Thank you for the replies girls!  now i feel relieved to hear i am given green light. i thought it might be impossible to have it dyed for good!

wendy, i have always had black black hair - i am born like that! that is why it never bothered me to ask doctors for it - i have always had it naturally!  8)

have a successful week you all and fun to all of you who are at the windy City for the annual AN conference!

x
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co