Author Topic: seeing the dentist after op.  (Read 4325 times)

sunshine16

seeing the dentist after op.
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:29:57 pm »
hi guys,

4 months post op now.  Wondering when did everyone see a dentist after surgery? Left side of my face is still weak (paralyze?)  I'm kinda afraid to go, was always nervous then, maybe more now.  And really afraid to have shots, if it's needed :'( :'( :'(........  But there's some works need to be done....   :-\ ??? ::)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: seeing the dentist after op.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:39:49 pm »
Sunshine,

I wouldn't think that you would have an issue. A local anasthetic is pretty harmless but I do stand corrected on basis of facts if anyone has them.

Don't delay the teeth fix - they only get worse.

Laz

2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:47:53 pm »
Sunshine,

I went for my usual check up at 3 months post-op.  I also have no movement or feeling on my AN side.  The dental assistant didn't seem to have any problems.  I opened my mouth as far as I could and she opened it the rest of the way.  No cavities!  Don't think getting dental work done would be a problem though.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:20:28 am »
I called the dentist and told them about my paralysis before I went. The dentist himself does my cleanings now. With all the lack of feeling, that scraping stuff isn't so bad. ;)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:00:16 pm »
met with my dentist last month and advised of upcoming treatment for me... no cavities and flossing daily.... she is VERY understanding and will be working with me on flouride treatments/suppliments as well. 

sunshine, I think since they are all considered "medical professionals", they are more understanding that we tend to think. :)

xoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 03:39:51 pm »

I just went not to long ago .. he was very interested in my whole story... and had no problem on doing a little extra
work in keeping my mouth open .. but be warned .. if you have BAHA ... the drilling is very LOUD !!
The brain and gotten used to "hearing" from vibrations in the skull ... and guess what the drill does!!!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:42:35 pm »
Sunshine I've had two cleanings since my surgery and was concerned about the numbness and how bad my tmj had gotten since sugery.  The cleanings were actually a breeze as i didn't feel anything on the left side  ;D  Just tell them your history and they will work with you to make you as comfortable as possible.

Raydean

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:17 pm »
While you're at the dentist talk to him about rinses, toothpastes and such that will help to protect the teeth.  Often times these are prescription products, but he should have some samples there.

Due to facial paralsis, 5th nerve damage, possible reduced blood flow and reduced salivia it places a person at a greater risk of dental promblems.  Salivia helps to protect the teeth and reduced the risk of cavities.  it's important you have check ups on a regular basis.

Some patients with facial paralsis found the "Sonic Care" type systems helpful in preventing dental problems.  Funny, we usually don't think of AN and dental problems together, but with facial paralsis it warrents extra attention.

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Static

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 04:28:51 pm »
I was just going to post something about the meds and saliva issues because I have been h aving problems because of them but Raydean beat me to it ;).  I have had more cavities since I started having surgeries be it csections, or whatever else I have had done.  I never had a cavity all  my life until after a few surgeries.  I waited to get to the dentist because since the AN surgery, I had had it with all doctors (besides the fact that I didn't l ike my dentist who I have since changed).  So I finally broke down and went and have lots of cavities, broken teeth in the back from neglected cavities, etc.  Don't put it off, I regret having put it off, now, and I mean right now, I am in pain and need to see the dentist (made an appointment for this Thurs am) because of putting all this off.  Funny you brought this up Batty, I just mentioned something about going to the dentist in my previous post and came here and found this..............freaky!   :o  LOL
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Raydean

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:39:21 pm »
Static,

We  learned this lesson the same way you did, with dental problems that developed rather fast.
They say "we learn things the easy way or the hard way, either way we learn!!"  Well, I know which
grouping I fall in <G>.  What i've found interesting is the area of increase risk of dental problems is not a subject that many doctors bring up.  Most of us discovered this the hard way.  Awareness of this issue is important.

Glad to know that you're headed to the dentist.  Take care of yourself!!!

Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

sunshine16

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 07:27:43 pm »
thank you all sooo much,  I will call my dentist today or tomorrow to make an appt.  I should take advantage of my 2 dental insurances right now while I have it.........  You guys just helped me feel much comfortable and at ease...

by the way, prior surgery, my dentist knew about the operation.  Even sent me flowers @ home.  So, I should not have a hard time explaining to him and his assts. about my condition esp. seeing me w/ a paralyze face and weird looking left eye for the first time. 

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 07:36:42 pm »
Hi guys,

Just wondering about what water you drink. A big issue in Sydney is that the tap water is ok'ish but pretty foul tasting. This has forced people to buy bottled water which doesn't have any flouride in it and the dentists are loving the extra work. The flouride in natural water is a great teeth protector.

My kids actually grew up in Wellington New Zealand (my wife is a Kiwi and our kids were born and bred there). Anyway, the tap water in NZ is absolutely fantastic - really clean and tasty. Both my kids ate huge amounts of crappy things like choccies, lollies etc and at 20 and 22 - have no fillings.

If your tap water tastes ok and is treated with flouride (which most are now), drink that instead of the bottled water.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 07:46:35 pm »
Myla,
  I just but off a sceduled dentist apt for periodic cleaning, for some of the reasons you gave.  I was imagining the hygenist asking me to move my lip out of the way, etc.  But the real reason I put it off is that dental cleaning is known to release some bacteria into the bloodstream, which is normally OK for a healthy person, the imune system can handle it.  I decided to put that off during recovery until my system is more fully recovered.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW