Author Topic: Can colds increase AN symptoms ?  (Read 2593 times)

tatianne

Can colds increase AN symptoms ?
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:33:47 am »
I have had ac old for the past two days and Ive noticed my ear feels more full and with my hearing there seems to be an increased echo. Has anyone experienced this while having a cold ?

Thanks all

4 months post GK
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Mickey

Re: Can colds increase AN symptoms ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:40:57 am »
Absolutly! A cold will definately increase your symptoms. A cold will give anybody bad symptoms, especially a head cold. Take care of it and as it clears up you should go back to your normal status. Best wishes, Mickey

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:08:05 am »
Tatianne,

A agree with Mickey. A head cold will increase the feeling of pressure in you head and ears and can affect hearing too.   I think having an AN makes you even more sensitive to these issues.  Take care of your cold, treat your symptoms and you should start feeling better.  When the cold is gone, you should feel back to your post-GK self. 

Are you sure you have a cold or could it be allergies, a real possibility this time of year.  Allergies would also cause an adverse effect that would be equally miserable this time of year.  If if seems like you have a cold that doesn't got away in a week or so, try taking allergy medicine.  I learned the hard way, after years of getting bronchitis,  that the "colds" I got every fall were actually allergies.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:04:56 am »
Yes! I have experienced this with colds too.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mk

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 01:47:48 pm »
A cold  can certainly make you miserable. Whenever I get a cold I feel that my sinuses are blocked (never had sinus issues before) and I get a constant feeling of fullness/ dull headache . Now I really understand the meaning of "head cold". I am not sure why, but it certainly seems that ANs make us more sensitive to colds and sinus issues. I have found that ibuprofen helps a lot. The good news is that it goes away. So get plenty of rest and take care of yourself as much as possible.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:02:31 pm »
Hi Tatianne,

Colds can definitely make your symptoms worse. I was actually diagnosed after a bad cold. The fullness in the ear and the ringing lasted forever. I also find that the cool weather also makes the symptoms worse. Specially if you suffer from sinuses.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:38 am »
Colds can definitely make your symptoms worse. I was actually diagnosed after a bad cold. The fullness in the ear and the ringing lasted forever.
Same here.  My right ear had been mildly ringing for several years, but it was an ear infection that finally made me visit an ENT.  With my ear full of fluid everyone sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher and the tinnitus was incredibly loud.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."