Author Topic: eye issues pre-op???  (Read 1768 times)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
eye issues pre-op???
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:41:29 pm »

Hey there,

So I'm all scheduled for my surgery, 4 weeks from tomorrow (not that I'm being obsessive and counting or anything), and today I woke up to my right eye (right side AN) acting funny.  My eye is fairly red and it has a strange sensation.  Kind of numb, I guess.  I can still move my eye all round, but my vision is a little blurry and I am noticing some intermittent twitching.  Any one else deal with eye problems before surgery?  Could this be AN related or is my stress getting the best of me?  I put in a call to Dr House, but he's out until tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice.  Even if it is just telling me to take a chill pill.

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Kaybo

Re: eye issues pre-op???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:50:09 pm »
Amy~
Do you think that maybe it is dry?  Kind of sounds like that might be the problem.  Get you some REFRESH PM (in a tube - on aisle with contact/eye stuff) and use it tonight.  It'll be good to have to take to the hospital so if you need it after surgery, you will have it!  Good thing to check with Dr, but this won't hurt in the mean time...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

opp2

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »
I agree you should check with Dr. House. In the mean while, yes I have dry eye on the affected side for about the past 3 weeks. I have started carrying drops with me. I don't have any redness but I did have some twitching a while back and before I was diagnosed, I went to the eye doctor and told him about my vision issues. He brushed it off, but I have better vision away and blurry in some spots up close. Make computer work tough.

Good luck to you.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 05:16:31 pm »
Hi Amy!

This may sound really strange (but what in the AN world isn't strange!!!), but I had intermittent sensations of my eyes feeling like they were jerking back and forth very quickly.  I was sure that if you looked at me you would see it, but I was never quick enough to get my husband to look at them!  Anyway, after my surgery, I've never had that sensation again.  Phew!

Best to ask your doctor - good luck!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:44:51 pm »
My eye became numb before surgery. The 5th nerve which is responsible for feeling was being pressed from the tumour and as a result I lost sensation in parts of my face and then my eye.
It is very important to protect your eye because it is very easy to get dirt or something in it and scratch your cornea. See my thread titled "Eyewear" to see what I have added to my sunglasses to protect my eye.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:23:45 pm »
Thank you all for sharing your stories and your tips.  I am now armed with my ointment and drops and will use them as needed.  I spoke to Dr house today and he said the twitching could be related. but not the irritation or the blurry vision.  Of course, I freaked when I saw my eye twitching and imagined my eye getting all weird permanently.  House tells me this will improve after surgery if it is the tumor pushing on the facial nerve.

Thanks for your support!!

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.