Author Topic: Consideration for a BAHA...  (Read 2534 times)

mellowrama

Consideration for a BAHA...
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:57:57 pm »
I'm already thinking how much the BAHA his could help me (3 weeks post SSD).  My partner owns a tavern and live music and loud restaurant is part of my lifestyle...time to sell or get a baha!   ;D

Question:  Is there something on both sides of the head?  Processor on one side and abutment on the other?

Does it look like your wearing hearing aid too?

I read somewhere about testing one, maybe at the Ana symposium?  Anyone know where/when the next one is?

I'm in New Mexico, should I travel back to LA /House for one or is there a place say nearer like in Texas?

thanks! m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Consideration for a BAHA...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:12:11 pm »
You'll have to wait until your head heals (generally a couple of months) before you can try the BAHA demo - but IMO it's definitely worth the wait.  The next symposium isn't until 2011 (in Ohio) but you can try the demo at the office of any doctor who does BAHAs. 

You shouldn't have to travel back to HEI for one; check out the Cochlear Americas website and look under "Find a Clinic".  It will list all the medical facilities in your area that do the BAHA implant surgery.

The BAHA system resides totally on one side of your head (the side that is SSD).  The abutment is actually attached to a titanium rod that is drilled into your skull and then the processor "snaps" onto it.  The processor when in place is generally not noticeable to anyone - it's under your hair.  There is nothing worn in the ear. 

Here are some links you might find helpful.

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

http://www.cochlearamericas.com

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mellowrama

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 11:07:28 pm »
great!  thanks jan
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:05:43 am »
I work in a loud environment, as well. (Music store) I just got my BAHA and find that right now it's not helping at work. (Still needs some programming, but that's another thread...)

Anyway, my advice would be to ask that when you test it, have some music in the background. I tested mine in the audiologist's office with just her voice. Yeah, it worked great in THAT environment.

I will know more in a few weeks, and will let you know if it gets better when the device is programmed for me. I am remaining hopeful that it will.......

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:35:47 am »
The majority of hearing aids (including the BAHA processors) don't work well in noisy and/or crowded environments.  Just not the nature of the "beasts".

The new Cochlear BP100 - and soon the Oticon Ponto - are supposed to help with these issues.

However, nothing (and I repeat nothing) currently on the market is like your normal hearing was.  Perhaps some time in the future; but not in today's world.

Regardless, the BAHA - and from I'm told, the TransEar and other hearing aids - is a huge improvement from being SSD.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways