Author Topic: ABILITY TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AFTER AN SURGERY?  (Read 9389 times)

LINDA MAE

ABILITY TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AFTER AN SURGERY?
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:42:40 pm »
HI, I AM JUST CURIOUS ABOUT A PERSONS ABILITY TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AFTER AN SURGERY WITH BALANCE NERVE REMOVED? JUST WONDERING AND ALWAYS WANTED TO ASK THIS QUESTION.

LINDA MAE

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: ABILITY TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AFTER AN SURGERY?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:54:59 pm »
Linda Mae ~

Unfortunately, there really isn't a clear-cut answer to your question.  Every AN surgery patient has a slightly different experience with regaining their balance ability.  If the nerve has been compromised for some time by the AN, the person's brain may have already compensated and regaining balance won't be difficult, even with the nerve cut.  However, that isn't always the case.  Some AN surgery patients find riding an ordinary bicycle to be a challenge.  Riding a 500 to 700+ pound motorcycle at highway speeds could be an insurmountable hurdle for some yet quite possible for others, depending on their sense of balance, post-op.  I would be skeptical about riding a motorcycle after AN surgery, at least for some time.  Some 'practice runs' (in deserted parking lots, then on back roads) would be a good idea.  That would let the prospective rider know what their balance will allow and if riding a motorcycle is advisable, post-op.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LINDA MAE

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:58:45 pm »
JIM, THANKS FOR  RESPONDING TO MY QUESTION.  MY HUSBAND HAS A MOTORCYCLE AND WHEN I RIDE ON THE BACK, IF I TURN MY HEAD TO LOOK AROUND ALOT I NOTICE MY BALANCE GETS OFF A BIT. I'VE NEVER RODE A MOTORCYCLE MYSELF, BUT MY HUSBAND DID PURCHASE A LARGE SCOOTER AND I REALLY AM CHALLENGED TO BALANCE AND RIDE IT MYSELF (I PRACTICED IN A EMPTY PARKING LOT), BUT MAYBE IN TIME I WILL BE ABLE TO. IF NOT HE ENJOYS RIDING US AROUND JUST LIKE ON THE MOTORCYCLE. HE SAYS IT'S A LOT MORE COMFORTABLE! HAHA. THANKS AGAIN FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION I'M SURE I WILL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS IN THE FUTURE.

LINDA MAE

Micky

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »
Gday Linda

I am a Motorbike lover always have been, I got back on the bike about 5 months after my surgery at first was a bit wonky had the same thing turn my head to fast and I would get dizzy now over a year on I still lose my balance sometimes when walking but im fine on the bike.

Good luck

Micky
 :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:06:46 pm by Micky »
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:11:08 pm »
I don't ride a motorcycle, but we don't call our barrel racing horses "crotch rockets" for nothing.  LOL  I'm nearly 8 months post surgery and have been blowing and going full speed for a couple of months now.  The only time I've had the least bit of problem was this last week when I had a head cold with fluid on my ear.  I got a little dizzy while playing with the dog.  But that could happen even with both balance nerves intact.

Vonda

Sam Rush

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:18 am »
I rode my motorcycle 2 1/2 weeks post op against wife and Dr's orders.  I had to be driven home from the motorcycle shop.  STUPID  .       After 6 weeks I could ride without problems and still ride motorcycles, bicycles, and horses.    I have more trouble walking then riding the above.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Seal

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:27:55 pm »
I'm sure you'll have no problems.    I am three months out, and I've been zipping around town on my little 49cc scooter.    The first ride was a little bit challenging, but once you realize that you're not going to tip over, everything is fine!     
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Labond

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »
Hi, I had AN surgery Sept 1, 2006. My balance is pretty good. I was wondering if I could ride a bike, so this summer I got my old
bike out. I had no problem riding it. My husband has a motorcycle and we ride every chance we get. I also have problems when
I turn my head suddenly to look at something. This is something you have to allow for.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 05:33:09 am »
Jim,
Your answer is great.  I am one that has been riding since I was three.  My husband and I enjoyed many rides all over Texas.  I was anxious to ride after my surgery, but two bad falls and my husband said, "No more."  I am four years out and tried again the other day to go with a friend and I still can't.  I hope you are one of the ones who can, Linda.  Good luck.  I miss it!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 07:33:04 pm »
Haven't had surgery but I do not have any balance nerve working on my AN side.  I ride a motocycle, if I am having a bad spell I don't.  I have more trouble walking on uneven ground and on a boat.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

irenuk

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 12:14:14 pm »
Hi all
I havnt had treatment - (hoping I will never need it).  I also ride a scooter and motorbike and find it much easier than walking when im feeling a bit off balance.
regards
irenuk