Author Topic: Newbie - 6 weeks post op  (Read 3171 times)

cyrmom2

Newbie - 6 weeks post op
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:36:07 pm »
After months of lurking I'm finally around to posting.  I had a 12 hour translab August 25, 2009 for a 4 cm CPA AN at OSU/The James.  A very small amount of the tumor remains on my brain stem.  No headaches or balance issues but I had complete left-sided facial paralysis although the facial nerves were working during surgery and when I was in ICU.  I went back to work (swim coach) and driving September 25. Facial paralysis is around a grade 3 now (6 weeks post-op).  My eye lid closes almost all of the way but I can not blink effectively.  I have a gold weight consult on October 14 with Dr Smith at OSU.

Happy to be a part of the post-treatment group!
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Newbie - 6 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »
Hi and welcome, Cyndi ~

Although I'm sorry you had to go through the AN experience, I'm pleased to see you found us and decided to post on the forum.  You're definitely among friends, here.  :)

You seem to be making an excellent recovery and your work as a swim coach is probably a plus in many ways, including helping keep you fit.  Resuming driving is an important goal and I'm glad to learn that you've conquered that, too.  The gold weight should help with your eye closure and at a Grade 3 for facility mobility, you're doing quite well after only 6 weeks, post-surgery, just one grade away from 'slight'.   

I'm delighted that you're doing well and more so, that you've chosen to register and post.  I look forward to reading more from you, Cyndi, in future messages.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:16:20 pm »
Hello Cyndi - I'm so glad you're doing great!  You got absolutely amazing results considering the size of your AN.  Keep us informed about your next appointment, I'm also seeing an opthalmologist next week, I'm 90 days past my surgery and I can't blink yet.
Good luck!

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:27:15 pm »
Hello Ciyndi and welcome to our little family..Wow, four weeks and back to work...I took six months because I teach driver ed and I didnt want to jeopardize the precious cargo I carry....It sounds like you are doing fantastic.  I've learned for me anyhow that exercise is the key to my wellness...Again welcome
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 04:51:15 pm »
Hi Cyndi:  I'm also amazed you got back to work after 4 weeks !   The gold weight will help your eye close more - & it can be removed if/when you don't need it anymore.
Continued healing,  always good thoughts, Nancy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:56:21 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:18 pm »
Cyndi .....

Adding my welcome to this auspicious group.  You sound like you are doing amazingly well for six weeks post-op!

As I am sure you have been reading on this Forum, many AN patients with post-op facial paralysis have experienced nearly complete, if not totally complete recovery (if the facial nerve was working at the end of surgery) but sometimes it takes months for this to occur.  As others will tell you, it takes great patience during this process.

Thoughts and prayers.

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »
Hi Cyndi!

I"m so glad you checked in and you're doing so well!  I am just an hour south of you and work in Columbus.  My surgery was in January (went to Cincinnati, but had a consult at OSU last December).  If you ever want to chat, pm me!!!  There is also a support group in Columbus, if you haven't found it yet.  I've attended one last winter but missed the one they held last month.  I have found it to be so helpful to talk to folks who have been through this (whether talking through cyberspace or in person).

You'll find lots of support here with this distinguished group of folks - stay in touch.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 05:42:46 am »
Cyndi, you sound great!  I am two weeks post surgery and I can't imagine driving in another two weeks much less getting back on the gravy train!  Truly impressive with your size AN and the facial issues.  Keep letting us know how you progress as it is always great to hear when people bounce back so quickly...
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

cyrmom2

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:10:35 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I too am surprised that I feel normal after only 6 weeks - probably because I felt so rotten before surgery.

Kathy, it is nice to hear from another Ohioan! I was able to attend the Columbus AN group meeting which was three weeks after my surgery.  I loved meeting everyone and look forward to the next one.

Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 03:22:14 pm »
Hi, Cyndi welcome to this wonderful group I to am new and found so many answers to so many questions that at first I could not explain in words as to how I was feeling... I guess we just have to take one day at a time.. 
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.