Author Topic: After 90 days developing a stiff neck  (Read 3108 times)

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
After 90 days developing a stiff neck
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »
Hello my AN friends:
After 90 days of my translab surgery I noticed my neck is really stiff and sometimes my face too.  I wonder if this is normal or is there something to be concerned about.  Please tell me is normal.    :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: After 90 days developing a stiff neck
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:12 pm »
Ilsemor ~

Try not to panic.  A stiff neck and even some perceived facial stiffness does not automatically indicate a problem.  You may have simply 'slept wrong' (in an awkward position).  Unfortunately, no one here can offer you a concrete diagnosis so I would suggest you put in a call to your doctor, explain about the onset of stiffness and ask his opinion - and if you need an appointment.  I doubt you will but at least you'll be somewhat reassured.  Let us know what happens.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:24 pm »
I had a stiff neck for a very long time.I did chiropractor,massage...heat...nerve block...the big turning point came omnly after several visits to chiro.....like Jim said...call Doc. see what he says....i wore a neck brace for awhile but that just made it hurt more.The neck muscles all have to heal n fuse back together.I also did vectub rehab n physical therapy.Belive it or not purposely looking back n forth up n down exercises several times a day is good even though it hurts like hell!Do u have pain w/ it?I had pain shooting down my left shoulder AN ws removed on right side.I also developed severe muscle spasms as it healed.Hope u do not endure all i did...but in the rare chance that u do...know your healing.
Feel free to PM me.
Cin
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:17:42 pm »
islemor
I've had ongoing neck stiffness. It has always been there since surgery. I've narrowed my relief down to ostepathic manipulation, heat, good pillows and when all else fails medication (tramadol) Your Dr can probably help direct you to some therapies that may work for your situation. I had facial stifness that would come and go during my first year post op. I'm not sure of the cause but I think that mine occurred during the recovery on my facial nerve-I had temporary facial paralysis. I especially noticed it during the winter months when it was colder. If your symptoms continue to cause concern-get in touch with your Dr! Take Care!
Erin

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »
I, too, was plagued w/a stiff neck for months after surgery.  I went to a chiro last summer for some  massage therapy and it really helped a lot.  I haven't been since school started, but I think a return visit make take care of some current aches.  Good luck!  I know I was miserable until it eased w/regular massages.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cin605

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:53:11 pm »
I also take tramadol as needed.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

cecile k

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »
I also had a very stiff neck for months post op which I attributed to holding my head in a certain position while trying to make sense of balance. Physiotherapy helped me tremendously...hope you find relief soon.

Cecile