Author Topic: Post-op peppermints?  (Read 2618 times)

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Post-op peppermints?
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:43:59 am »
I noticed a few people have mentioned using peppermint to help alleviate post-op nausea.  Will any peppermint candy do or is there a certain type that people prefer?
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Post-op peppermints?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:59 pm »
I personally feel ginger ale helps me....
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:12:34 pm »
My post op nausea was so bad that I could not even think about eating or drinking anything for a good 24 to 36 hours post op and then it was gone. I needed IV anti nausea meds to stop the nausea and vomiting.  So, I guess I'm not much help. I have heard that crystalized ginger is helpful for nausea.
Erin

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »
I didn't eat for a few days, couldn't even dream of it. I brought a bag of ginger chewy candies and never even looked at it. Just hearing the names of foods made me feel sick.

The one day, I saw spaghetti on the menu for lunch and got excited -- then I knew I'd live!  ;D

I believe they pump you up with anti-nausea meds if needed. I think it was as much from the anaesthesia as the balance nerve, as it wore off in a few days never to return, just as Erin said.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:12:42 pm »
Hi DR:  'post op nausea' is putting it mildly ! !   Anesthesia & I don't mix, even with antinausea meds, I vomited horribly immediately post op,  didn't eat much the 3 days post surgery;   I do remember starting on plain crackers & ginger ale.    Lost ALOT of weight !
Best wishes,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:48 pm »
DR -

from what I've heard, any kind of peppermint will help.  I wish I had known that post op.

Not everyone has nausea, but lots of us do - myself included.  They gave me lots of different meds for my nausea, but nothing even made a dent in it.  I took the not eating/not drinking route, which was a huge mistake.   Nothing appealed to me - even a Hershey bar (my usual vice) that my son brought to the hospital.  It sat on my bed tray for days and I didn't even tear open the wrapper.  Not like me AT ALL  :o

I became very weak and didn't get up and moving as soon as I should have - I just didn't have the strength.  It cost me an extra day in the hospital - compliments of my very caring neurotologist.  In hindsight, I should have eaten - sick as I was - it would have helped in my recovery.

I'm hopeful you'll be one of those who don't have major nausea post op, but just in case, stock up on the peppermints.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:25:05 am »
I lived off of peppermints....any kind I could get my hands on.  I too lost a ton of weight, but it has found me again and than some!!  I still keep mints handy.  The metallic taste is no longer a problem, but I find my mouth doesn't produce a lot of saliva this days and a good mint helps.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games