Author Topic: Acts of Kindness  (Read 5392 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Acts of Kindness
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:23:52 am »
I mentioned this in another topic, but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

This past August, a Louisiana girl named Maggie Lee Henson died two weeks after being critically injured in a tragic bus accident as her youth group was traveling to a camp. Her parents are encouraging friends and family to perform an act of kindness on October 29, which would have been her 13th birthday. Their original goal was 1300 participants, but already more than 13,000 people have committed themselves to an act of kindness. There is a website at http://www.maggieleeforgood.org/ with more explanation. I do not know this family personally but learned about Maggie Lee through a Caring Bridge site for a little girl in my community who suffered a spinal cord injury last January 2. I admire the Hensons' way of celebrating their daughter's life. There is also a Facebook group called Maggie Lee...For Good for those of you who participate there.

There are innumerable acts of kindness that go on here already:
  • Steve knits hats. 
  • Jan and Lori send out BAHA care kits. 
  • Kaybo offers to call people all over the United States. 
  • Our beloved global moderators - Steve, Jim, Phyl , JoeF (are there more?) - keep us on the straight and narrow.
  • Many, many others offer daily support and guidance to others who are bewildered, suffering or just plain scared.

Thanks to everyone who participates in this fine forum. Keep up the good work. And if you are able to do something extra on the 29th in memory of a special little girl, more power to you!

Sara
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:59:17 am by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Acts of Kindness
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:40 am »
Steve, Jim, Phyl , JoeF (are there more?)

nope, that covers it, providing we can get Joe to stop playing Mafia Wars ;)

Hi sara and thanks for sharing this... I have heard of other types of "goodwill" days over the years and this one you note is good to know as well.  For me, I try to do at least one good deed/act of kindness per day as that is how my father taught us to be..... always try to do at least one per day (more if possible).  So, thanks for the kind words... truly appreciated... and let's all try to remember that there are those that we can be kind to on a daily basis.. as we know it will come back to us tenfold when we least expect :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28:12 pm »
nope, that covers it, providing we can get Joe to stop playing Mafia Wars

Hey!  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:12 pm »
nope, that covers it, providing we can get Joe to stop playing Mafia Wars

Hey!  ;)

Hey back! Good to see ya! ;)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:55:32 am »
Six more days . . .

Last night as I was falling asleep I was making a list - rather long! - of others around here whom I would like to credit for their acts of kindness. Of course this morning I do not recall all of them, but I would also like to mention
  • Debbi for starting the magic scarf journey, and all those who have kept it traveling
  • Nancy, Lainie and LADavid for meeting and greeting patients who travel to House for surgery
  • Lilan for arranging the forum dinner in Chicago
  • All those who arrange local support meetings, so many I don't know all of them (Migoi in Arkansas, Joebloggs and NancyMc in the UK, Debbi in NY/NJ, Phyl et. al in Massachusetts). I know I have missed or omitted some. Please forgive me and accept my thanks for stepping in to arrange support!
  • LADavid, Keri and now Rich56 for providing weekly updates

I bet all those who I have mentioned here and in my earlier post don't even think of what they do as acts of kindness. This is a great bunch and I know you will do great things next Thursday.

Now go out and have a great weekend!
Sara
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:37:32 pm by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:26:50 pm »
Just a reminder that tomorrow is Maggie Lee for Good Day.

Have a great one,
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:39:28 am »
Just wanted to bring this to the front again...TODAY is "Maggie Lee...for GOOD" Day.  Don't forget to do an act of kindness for another!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:52:19 am »
For Maggie Lee... and for those in my life I try to do good...... here's hoping I can help bring a smile to at least one person (or more) today... :)

Phyl

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »
On an almost related topic, the other day as I was walking up to the entrance of the local IHOP with my cane in hand, an elderly lady stopped and held the door open...that was a first for me...I of course thanked her and returned the favor by holding the inside door open for her...she looked like granny from the Beverly Hillbillies less the combat boots!

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:11:14 pm »
On an almost related topic, the other day as I was walking up to the entrance of the local IHOP with my cane in hand, an elderly lady stopped and held the door open...that was a first for me...I of course thanked her and returned the favor by holding the inside door open for her...she looked like granny from the Beverly Hillbillies less the combat boots!

;)
Doc

so you were hopping into the IHOP ?     

** sorry, could not help myself *** ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:13:06 pm »
Stumble is more like it...I did the best I can do...LOL!

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:41:08 pm »
 Do a Good Turn Daily shouldn't just be for Scouts...try to keep this practice and teach
it to my kids

Thanks to all of those here that do good turns that make the trip more tolorable
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 06:57:21 am »
Thought I'd post my act of kindness on Maggie Lee for Good Day - and hope others will do the same.

I stopped at the gas station because I was driving on fumes.  When I pulled up to the pump, I noticed a large, red, plastic gas container (probably about 10 gallons) sitting next to it.   I couldn't figure out who it belonged to until I caught sight of a landscaper's pickup truck with trailer attached pulling out of the parking lot.  So, I picked up the can, hurried across the parking lot and flagged down the driver.  He was shocked to see me with his gas can and couldn't thank me enough for flagging him down.  He said that his boss would have made him pay for the gas and the can out of his own pocket and with the current price of gas that wouldn't have been a small sum of money.

It didn't hit me until after I was done pumping my own gas that it was Maggie Lee for Good Day.  It just goes to show you that you can find opportunities for acts of kindness even when you aren't looking out for them.  Sometimes they just fall into your lap - or can be found at your feet.  Random acts of kindness are easy to do and they cost us nothing.  I hope to do one every day.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 07:39:44 am »
Sorry I missed this thread in time to do something specific on October 29th, but what neat stories.  (Not sure I could hurry with a full 10 gallon gas can in my hand. :o ..... but loved the story.)

Sara, thanks for starting this thread with all of the reminders of our own members' acts of kindness ..... it is good to have this nudge to be more aware of others in plight.  Sometimes it is easy to become very wrapped up in our own difficulties on this AN walk and forget about others.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011