Author Topic: This Week 12/6 in the AN Calendar World  (Read 4180 times)

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
This Week 12/6 in the AN Calendar World
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:20:55 am »
Here in north central Massachusetts, our winter wonderland has arrived, in the form of approximately 2” of splenda.  Sue (suboo73) had posted that they had just received a fresh 6”, and Brian (Pooter) shocked us with a photo of snow in Houston Texas.  WOW!

Congratulations to Sue (suboo73) and Denise (Denise S) on clean MRIs last week.  Sorry to read that you may have a mastoid infection Denise, and that you still have a lot of swelling going on.  We hope the swelling subsides, and that the antibiotics do they’re job on the infection.

Tuesday Tammy (Tamster) is having middle fossa surgery at HEI in LA.  Tammy has tracked down the Original Journal that once accompanied The Magic Scarf.  Thank you from all of us!  Though you have not yet received the Journal, we trust that you will.

Wednesday Jay (jaylogs) is having his middle fossa at HEI, by the same surgical team, Dr. Brackmann, and Dr. Schwartz, as Tammy.

Tammy and Jay you will both be in our thoughts and prayers for successful and uncomplicated surgeries and quick recoveries.  We understand that Mike (loose screws (tightened) ) will be passing The Magic Scarf on to you.  Please say hi to him for all of us.  May the MAGIC by strong.

On Thursday (msmaggie) is celebrating her 1 year surgical anniversary.  Some of you know her as Maggie or Mags, but, I think most of us know her as Pricilla, a caring woman who has been very supportive of others, and has the distinct honor of sporting a Steve original in red  :)  Happy Anniversary Pricilla.

Also on Thursday, Sue (vogstar5) goes for her first BAHA visit.  Congratulations on a clear MRI last month, and best of luck regarding the BAHA, we hope everything goes well, and that you like what they have to say.

Friday Cathy (ANrookie) will be having retrosigmoid surgery at USC.  Cathy we wish you well and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for an uncomplicated successful surgery, and speedy recovery as well.

Saturday one of our most precious and supportive Hero Members Kay (Kaybo) is celebrating 14 years since her AN surgery.  This 14 year AN Journey has not been without complication, and through it all Kay has been there supporting others with almost 3000 posts (sure to be 3000 before the weekend is over).  Thank you for the support you’ve given to Scarlett and I, and to everyone on this forum.
Happy Anniversary Kay, you are irreplaceable ;D

We will continue to hold good thoughts for those of you on the road to recovery.  Things do get better, and Kay is a prime example.

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: This Week 12/6 in the AN Calendar World
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:39:49 am »
Good luck to everyone having "events" in the coming week.  May things go smoothly, may you recover swiftly, and may you realize how much we all care about each and every one of you.  You are in our thoughts and in our prayers.

A special note to my "sister" Kaybo.  Rich's choice of the words precious and supportive couldn't be more appropriate.  Your attitude is consistently upbeat Kay, and you've shown many that life is what you make of it (one of my favorite theories).  I was fortunate to not have big issues from my AN, but I try to keep your example in my personal life - where I've had lot of trials and tribulations  ::)  I've become a very strong person through the years, especially after my AN, but I don't think I'll ever be as strong as you.  Thank you for your friendship, thank you for your support, and thank you for your sense of humor.  Dave and the girlies are extremely lucky to have you - as are the people on this forum.  You rock!  ;D

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »
Rich ~

My thanks, once again, for the update.

My thoughts and prayers will definitely be with Tammy on Tuesday and with Jay on Wednesday as they undergo AN removal surgery at HEI in Los Angeles.  Prayers and good vibes are also going out to Cathy on the occasion of her retrosigmoid surgery on Friday (11th). 

Congratulations to both Sue and Denise on their 'clean' MRI reports.

Happy one-year surgical 'anniversary' to the irreplaceable Priscilla and good luck to Sue on her BAHA consultation on Thursday.   

Kay's 14th AN surgery 'anniversary' on Saturday (12th) is worth celebrating - and I hope she does.  Kay is a valued forumite and a constant source of inspiration to all of us. 

I trust our many recovering members will continue to experience speedy and total healing.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:34:17 pm »
Rich, should have driven a hint east... we got about 3"-4" here.  We're on the "bad" side of the street where the sun doesn't help...I'm iced in now. Go figure! :)

Well, it certainly looks like HEI and USC (should I be in S. CA about now?) will be busy this week and sending speedy recovery and good wishes to those having treatment/surgery this week.  Pricilla, congrats on your ANniversary! Continued wellness wishes your way! Sue, good luck at your BAHA appt....

and as for my Kaybo......  please make sure that Pirate spouse of your's does something TRULY awesome to help celebrate this milestone! (I have a very sneaky feeling he will... pls give him a major huggle from me!).  You've come SOOOOOO very far in your AN journey I gotta tell you.... one heck of an amazing woman! BTW, still have yet how to figure out one of those touch cellphones. ;) Well done, m'dear!  :-*  :-*  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:13:01 am »
I am still learning all the forum ropes, and just totally missed this thread until tonight.

Thanks to all who sent me best wishes via this thread, they must have helped because i'm feeling better ( a little bit) each day since the Linac at Shands on December 1

.. Lots of balance issues to work on, but i will be back on horseback as soon as safely possible.

Again, thanks to you Rich and Scarlett for doing this amazingly nice calendar weekly update for all of us...so many generous and thoughtful people here...cant wait for next year's big symposium to get to meet lots of you.
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:00:12 am »
cant wait for next year's big symposium to get to meet lots of you.

As with all things AN, you will have to be patient. The next one is in Cincinnati in 2011. :)

Best wishes to all those mentioned by Rich.

Kay, you rule.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:08:17 am »

Sue - Congratulations on having a clean MRI.  That's news we love to hear!

Denise -  Congratulations on the clean MRI, but I'm sorry to hear about the mastoid infection.  I hope the antibiotics clear it up quickly and you are feeling better soon.
Tammy - Good luck tomorrow.  You will most definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.  May your surgery to smoothly, your hearing be saved and most importantly, may you have no complicationsand a speedy recovery.  I'm sure you will be in good hands -- I hear the docs at HEI rock!  Thanks for tracking down the journal.  Many have tried but only you succeeded.

Jay - Wishing you a successful surgery with no complications on Wednesday along with a quick recovery.   You too will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Priscilla -- Happy one year anniversary!

Sue - Good luck with your BAHA consultation.  I hope you are as impressed with it as I have been!

Cathy - Good luck on Thursday.  Sending prayers and wishes for a successful surgery and a quick and uncomplicated recovery.

Kay - Happy 14th Anniversary!  With all the ups and downs you have encountered, you have always been a positive force on this forum and seem always to look for the bright side of things.  You are one strong lady!

Best to all,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:23:41 am »
Sounds like a fairly busy week here in AN Land.

GOOD LUCK and quick healing to those having surgery.  CONGRATULATIONS on those clean MRI's - always good to hear!  HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY to MsMaggie - and many, many more!

To Kaybo, my Tasmanian Devil friend, CONGRATULATIONS ON 14 YEARS!  You've shown us how to handle life's curve balls with grace, acceptance, humor, gratitude and more energy than any one person should have.  Thank you.  If I know you, you'll be celebrating - just wish I could be there too!  Have a Landshark for me, and let's throw all caution to the wind and forget about the straw!  ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:01 am »
AAAWWWW....y'all are too sweet - you had me in tears & laughter there - are there 2 better things??  Really, the older I get and the more I watch my mom & grandmother deal with their adversities, I realize that this is just how I am made and what has been modeled to me all of my life.  We may not always like it, but we have to JUST DO IT and go on...& of course, laughter helps!

Truly, you are the best and your words mean the world to me!  No plans to do anything Saturday...maybe we'll finally get Christmas decorations up!  :o  I will go strawless, though!  I guess as the years go by, it just isn't that big of a deal anymore...& really, in a way, that is how it should be...embrace the new life and LIVE it!!  ;)

K   ;D

PS - Good luck & prayers to all having treatments or procedures this week!  Special shout out to my Texas friend, Priscilla, on her 1 year ANniversary - I still remember us going to lunch last year and Dave & I couldn't believe you had just had surgery!!  You are such a beautiful lady - inside & out!!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »
Congrats on the clean MRI's last week!  I hope the infection is cleared up with meds.

Good luck Jay and Tammy and Cathy on your upcoming surgeries.  I'm sure you'll both ROCK it!

Sue, let us know how the BAHA consult goes!

MsMaggie, Mags, Priscilla:  Congratulations, my friend.  It's been a heck of a year!  I'm so glad that we all had lunch last year.  I'm with Kay that it was such a shocker that you had just had your surgery.  Congratulations on this milestone.

Kay:  Wow!  My Texas buddy!  I still remember you calling me when I was home from sugery.  Little did I know how special you would be to me personally and to this forum as a whole.  If anyone would have a reason to be down on life, you could, but you're as positive as they come about life!  Congratulations on 14 years!  That's so awesome!  I'm with others in saying that you should make Dave do something wonderful for you!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Keri

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:50:31 am »
Thank you, Rich, for the great updates. I read through this week's and last's - I was out of touch Thanksgiving week. I was in TEXAS visiting my son at Lackland AFB. He will soon move to Nebraska, which will be about the other weather extreme (he arrived in SA in the hottest summer they've had in a while and while go to NE in January!). It was great to be in Texas again (I think I've been there 3x in the last year - I have an aunt who is struggling with Alzheimers in south Texas). Whoops, I'm rambling way too much - I just got carried away after reading the "texas people" comments. I thought of you all when i was down there.

Congrats on the clean MRI reports from last week! Also congrats to Kay (wow!) and to msmaggie.

Thoughts and prayers to those facing treatments and recovery.

And I missed Nancy's birthday last week! Happy late birthday, Nancy. And I will go try to read the latest on Dave... concerned about him (and you).

Rich, thanks again. You do a great job of getting these out in such a timely manner.
Have a good week!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Lynn Mc

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:06:40 pm »
I am relatively new to this site and have yet to figure out the calender.   Not really all that savvy on the computer. 

Thanks,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 04:18:47 pm »
Lynn,

I took the liberty of adding your surgery to the calendar.  So, you're all set!  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager