Author Topic: Balance: Dizziness, Headaches, and Cognition...an answer!  (Read 1646 times)

Dr. Dean

Balance: Dizziness, Headaches, and Cognition...an answer!
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:57:48 am »
To all:

This is not the usual post; I am not asking for support, although I wish I had 10 years ago—instead, I am offering a universal support.
I have made a few supportive posts here and all have to do with balance—the key to managing an acoustic neuroma.  Not all acoustic neuroma sufferers have a balance problem, but those with a vestibular schwannoma do.
Like all acoustic neuroma sufferers, I was initially bewildered, sad and frustrated (and the dizziness, pain and tinnitus didn’t help), not to mention making the “big decision” (surgery or not? scalpel or radiation?).  But I got through it with a few GK holes in my head.  Then came the real challenge, living with it!
The constant headaches, loud tinnitus and inability to tell sound direction were bad enough, but the loss of balance was too much to bear; I felt like a drunken idiot falling to the side all of the time; I had to do something about it!

As a four-decade bioengineer, I have analyzed and invented many health-improving programs; my balance program is one of them.  I started developing it (based on exercises astronauts did for dizziness) about a month after surgery, and at first, it wasn’t much help.  Then I discovered that if I worked each semicircular canal individually, that I could literally “reset my cerebellum” and regain my balance.  At first, its positive effects (controlled balance and drop in headaches) lasted only a few days, but after a couple of months of doing it about three times a week, then once a week, and then monthly, it finally held.
Balance (the 6th sense, the somatosensory system) requires both brain and muscle coordination; these exercises create that.  But of course, like all exercises, muscles take weeks to develop, but once developed, it only takes monthly exercises to keep the brain (cerebellum) properly functioning.
It may sound ridiculous, but every symptom I have (except tinnitus and lack of sound direction) can be relieved by these monthly exercises, including improved cognitive ability (or at least, maintained cognitive ability) as I noted in a previous post.

These exercises can be downloaded form http://www.personalityfinesse.com/pdfshow.php?pdf=12.
There is a bonus to these exercises; it keeps your spine and neck healthy (should you have such problems).
I have received an inquiry that prompted me to make this post, based on the use of the exercises.
It is best to do them on a treadmill, walking at a normal steady pace, with arms naturally swinging from side to side while concentrating on your leg muscles and how they keep you balanced.
If you don’t have access to a treadmill, you can do these exercises as you walk naturally in your neighborhood.  The only problem is the embarrassment of looking like a weirdo, with your head bouncing in all directions as you walk.

I had wanted to share these exercises with acoustic neuroma sufferers long ago, but wasn’t sure how to go about it before finding this forum.  I hope that this understanding encourages those of you who suffer from balance problems, and its consequences, to take a proactive stance and manage your acoustic neuroma instead of having it manage you.

This post may be inappropriate, but it is how I give support; I'm not much of a relator who can give emotional support like the rest of you.  I hope this helps.

Dean

Kaybo

Re: Balance: Dizziness, Headaches, and Cognition...an answer!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:06:04 am »
Dean~
I am sure that this can be very helpful to many - thanks for sharing!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:00:52 pm »
I'm starting these exercises prior to any treatment, along with some similar ones recommended by a physical therapist.  It works best for me if I  set an appointment with myself each evening to do these exercises, gets me in a routine, and helps me feel like I'm doing something else that is pro-active in dealing with this condition.   We need all the warm fuzzies we can get...i definitely think attitude helps (good attitude) in dealing with all this.  The alternative is not a working situation for me...i allow myself 20 minutes of pity and anger per day, then take a deep cleansing breath, MOVE, and go on to living my life.  I dont do so well all the time, but at least i have this goal to shoot for.
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

Dr. Dean

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 04:44:03 pm »
Tricia:

I applaud your proactive approach.

I only wish I knew about my exercises before my GK surgery, I could have eliminated months of pain and frustration.

Good luck,

Dean

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:51:51 pm »
I'm going to try these, thank you!
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!