Author Topic: best gamma knife treatment facility  (Read 3102 times)

supermike

best gamma knife treatment facility
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:51:31 pm »
I believe i have decided to go radiosurgery --gamma knife--now how do i identify which facilities in the country are superior?
It seems more obvious with open surgery where the experience of the surgical team would be  paramount and correlates most with outcome. Do you think that is as true with radiosurgery? Who is the best?
4mmx4mmx16mm--dx 3-15-06- starting the process

Raydean

Re: best gamma knife treatment facility
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 03:53:26 pm »
Belonging to several AN groups I noticed that John Hopkins U name comes up positively overall in comments made.  Dr. Rigamonti  is the name mentioned most often.  You might want to research
them.  I'm sure other's will post other centers of excellence. 

Regardless of treatment option chosen (be it surgery or radiation)  the experience of the medical team is an important factor. Quoting the National ANA Board. "it's belief that treatment of acoustic neuroma by a medical team with extensive experience is critcal to your best chance for a successful outcome." 

Our best to you
Chet and Raydean   
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:48:15 pm »
Hi Mike and welcome... I have to agree with Raydean and she would certainly have more knowledge on this than me.  I based my decision on numerous factors  but I have to agree that researching the team in full that you care considering using (ie: how many AN's, who all is involved with the team, etc) certainly helped me in me making my radio-surgery decision.

Best wishes and happy to help any way I can.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

russ

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:31:37 pm »
 Hi
  I think re just GK, University of Pittsburgh, hands down.. John Hopkins is best for FSR. The protocols for GK are basically the same anywhere however. See http://www.irsa.com/ for a "Center of Excellence" near you.
  Best wishes in this!!
  Russ