Author Topic: navigant radio...???????  (Read 1606 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
navigant radio...???????
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:01:48 pm »
Anyone hear of the Navigant Radio something-or-other?

I wrote in last night that my MRI from my stroke in April was compared to my MRI from last week, and the tumor did not show up in the April MRI. As it turns out, they could not high-lite the April MRI because I was having the stroke, and the high-lit solution would have gone into my brain. The ENT I saw today said he is sure the tumor was present in April based on his trained eye.

Anyway, he is taking the wait and see approach. My tumor is 1.7cm x 1.00cm. He does about 5 of these ANA's with surgery per year, and the rest are done gamma knife. He said he loves the surgery, but he believes when my time comes, it will be with the gamma knife.

He said Scott and White in Temple, Texas will be installing a Navigant Radio....? Anyone ever hear of it?

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: navigant radio...???????
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:56 am »
James,

I had never heard of "Navigant Radio", so I did some poking around the net courtesy of GoogleTM.  I found this that might be helpful:  http://www.stereotaxis.com/Products-Technology-Navigant-Software-User-Interface.

Altho, based on what I read they provide machinery (and Software User Interface; Navigant) for cath labs (i.e. heart stuff).  So, I'm not sure how related to an AN that would be.

Given that the doctor that you're seeing does more GK (gammaknife) than surgery, of course he's going to recommend GK over surgery to you.  Just my opinion, but I think you should seek out doctors that do primarily surgery as well as radiation doctors in order to get the full range of possible treatments.  I'm down in Houston, which is quite a ways from you, but surely there are some people with AN experience near where you are that you can consult.

Also, your doctor said "the rest he treats with GK"..  If he only does surgery 4-5 times a year, how many cases does he treat with GK?  Experience is paramount, in my mind and I'd want someone with a LOT of experience treating me.  I'm not disparaging your doctor, but I'm not sure he has enough experience.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »
I will be seeing the doc next week and get more info. I certainly did not mean to make it sound like the doc likes to do GK over the surgery. We talked about both, and he believes my tumor, due to the location, hearing, etc, as it is today, would be better to do the GK.

We did talk about the recovery and expense of surgery vs GK. Not that money is everything, but I am self employed, and being in the hospital for a week and then recovering for 1 to 2 months would put me out of business. I have to work, so that is also a factor. The doc has no idea this is a factor for me.

I will probably change my mind about how this will done several times before I do anything. Hopefully, my tumor will stay static and I will not have to do anything.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:49:35 pm »
James,

Please do not misinterpret my comments about your doctor to mean that he definitely isn't worth dealing with.  Given your employment situation (i.e. being self-employed), you're smart to take radiation into consideration over surgery.  Both have generally the same possible side-effects post treatment but radiation may be better in terms of availability to work during and right after treatment.

When you talk to him again, try to get a good feeling for his experience doing GK.  Again, experience is paramount when dealing with AN's and so you want someone with a lot of experience treating AN's specifically with GK if you're going to go that route.  Also, try to find out more about the "navigant radio" machine he mentioned to you.  I'm curious to learn more and how it might help other AN patients.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:17:06 pm »
Also, try to find out more about the "navigant radio" machine he mentioned to you.  I'm curious to learn more and how it might help other AN patients.

James -

I'm intrigued with this idea, too.  As Brian said, please give us more information about the "navigant radio" if and when you can.  I've never heard of it either.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways