Author Topic: Upcoming Surgery  (Read 5935 times)

LID

Upcoming Surgery
« on: March 17, 2006, 04:30:10 pm »
I am facing surgery soon by Dr. Brackman of the House Clinic. This is following FSR treatment of May 2000. The treatment failed and the tumor has grown.  My question is - how will I really feel post surgery? I realize that everyone has a different experience but I really feel as if I am in the dark as to how this recovery will progress. Can anyone share their experience ??
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

Battyp

Re: Upcoming Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05:38 pm »
Lid what procedure are you going to have?  I'm thinking that might make some difference as I know from other post that there seems to be a difference with translab, midfossa, sub occip and retrosig.

Everyone has different outcomes too so mainly you'll get a very general idea.  Just remember it's a SLOW recovery.  You have to wait for nerves to regenerate.  I didn't fair so well and think after 7 mos I'm now where they doctors elluded I'd be after surgery. 

Know we are here for you!

LID

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:11:23 pm »
I am having a translab approach. Most of my hearing is already gone and the docs seem to feel  that balance will not be a big issue as I have already probably adjusted to that after the FSR treatments.

Is there anyone out there who has had surgery post radiation?
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 06:00:52 pm »
I know there are some that had surgery after fsr.  I think Boppie had translab so can better answer your post op questions plus she was a nurse so is very knowledgeable! 

There are those on here who rave about the experience at House so it sounds like you are in good hands in that regard.  Someone else had started a post on what you might need at home after surgery, have you read that? 

Keep us posted on your outcome we're here for you!  I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to give you more insight. . 

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:03:39 am »
LID: I don't know if size makes a difference to how you feel post-op are not. The first time I had surgery it was a 16 hour surgery and I basically felt like I'd been run over by a Mac truck for several weeks thereafter. The second time the surgery was only 4 hours and I felt better than the first time, more like being hit by a dump truck. Also I had different approaches and different surgeons each time and the second surgeon assured me I would not feel as bad as I did the first time. I think it's maybe got a lot to do with person experience with pain. I can remember before being in labour with my son the doctor saying to me "you'll be fine, it's nothing like having brain surgery in terms of level of pain" and then I remember yelling at him (even after epidural) "this ain't F*&%in' brian surgery buddy!"
You are probobly right that you won't have as much difficulty with dizziness as most folks and that's a great benifit for your recovery as getting up and moving is key in a fast recovery and very hard to do when the world's spinning.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 03:53:31 pm »
I am facing surgery soon by Dr. Brackman of the House Clinic. This is following FSR treatment of May 2000. The treatment failed and the tumor has grown.  My question is - how will I really feel post surgery? I realize that everyone has a different experience but I really feel as if I am in the dark as to how this recovery will progress. Can anyone share their experience ??

I was at House with a woman named Mary Jane who went thru the exact sanme experience as you--failed radio-surgery followed by trans-lab by the same surgeon, Dr. Brackman.  She made a really speedy recovery and was quite active when I met her at the guest center--just a few days after she was released.  She is now off cruising with her husband on their 38 foot sailboat working their way to Florida.  She had no balance problems or headaches, or much pain at all.

I'll put you in touch with her off forum if you'd like.  She sure has been encouraging to me in my recovery.
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:03:50 pm »
Hi Capt'n Deb,

Your last post has been so encouraging to me. To know that surgery after radiootherapy can be fine. I will probably be having GK at some stage after already having middle fossa. The issue that has "sacred" me was the common comment by surgeons saying that ops after GK or CK run a bigger risk of facial nerve damamge coz the radiation weakens it. Now knowing that there can be success really has helped my mind set to a level that you couldn't imagine. Wuith that news, I now have absolutely no second thoughts on going for GK.

Thx Captain

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sanddollar

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:58 pm »
LID -

I haven't had any radiation, but did have translab and significantly diminished hearing and some balance issues prior to surgery.  I had very little problem adjusting post-op.  Neither the hearing adjustment or balance adjustment was much of an issue.  Seems that my non-AN side was already working pretty hard.  I hope that you have the same experience!

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:27:49 pm »
LID, although I am pre-treatment (radio-surgery/CK), I just wanted to say hi, welcome and know that regardless of what treatment and such, we are all here for you.

BTW, you will be in terrific hands at House. I had a 2nd surgical opinion with Dr. Brackmann and know you will be fine!  :)

Best wishes,
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:50:14 am »
LID,
  Good Luck. If I was in need of a second treatment then Dr. Brackman would likely be the first person I would call even though he is many miles away. I think you're in good hands and I hope everything turns out fine. Keep Us Posted!

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 10:51:42 pm »
Has anyone heard from LID and how he/she is doing? 

LID please check in when you get the chance and no  we are all thinking about you and wishing you a speedy speedy recovery!

NancyK

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 08:20:22 am »
Hi All- Thanks for thinking of me. It is over!!  Surgery for 2.1 AN previously radiated occurred on Tues. April 4 by Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.  6 hours.Trans-lab approach. A scrap of the tumor was left in . Effects- more droop to affected side. Difficulty drinking and eating. Dry eye. Also had BAHA inplant put iin. Waiting to see how all settles out. Still on Decadron. Staying at Seton House but may move to another location nearby. Will see Dr. B and interenist on Tuesday and then may be released to drive to AZ. 6 hour drive - may take 2 days to do it. Any advise or comments? I will write more later. This comuter @ Seton is VERY slow.    Lynn

NancyK

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 08:27:43 am »
something got mixed up here ane last post is form LID regarding my surgery on April 4. It is not from Nancy K  :-[

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 10:07:12 am »
Lynn,
Glad to hear it's over for ya!!!  Tell Dr. Stefan Deborah Purves says HI!  I'm the one with the crazy blonde cousin who called him "Doc Hollywood."  He'll remember!
Good to hear from you and glad to hear you are doing well.

Check your profile to see if the mixup in names isn't from there.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 02:14:30 pm »
Nancy regardless of the name mix up I'm so glad things are going well!

I made it 3 hours from tampa home.  I wasn't driving of course I was riding and did ok with a pillow to soften my head and glasses to protect my eyes as my eyes were very sensitive to light.  Just tell them NO Jerking the wheel!!