Author Topic: Falling Sensation In Bed  (Read 2735 times)

Vincent87

Falling Sensation In Bed
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:34 pm »
It has been four years since Mom had GK.

She complains-still-about once a month of waking up (always in the AM) with the sensation that she's falling out of bed.  Then the panic wave hits, she grabs the bed bars and she usually has to talk herself down.

I remember her being evaluated by a neuro-psychologist during Rehab Stay #2 (the GK caused hydrocephalus and she required a programmable shunt) because Mom was actually seeing items upside down. (She doesn't anymore.)  That MD didn't have a clue as to why that was going on, but then the ignorance of GK and AN is staggering.

Has anyone out there had this experience-of being in bed and feeling that they're gonna tumble out?

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: Falling Sensation In Bed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:16:55 pm »
If I get too close to the edge I kind of feel like that, but not sure if it's the same thing. Also if my foot lands half on something and half off (like as high as a step or as low as the edge of a throw rug) I feel like I'm going to fall off a cliff.  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:24:09 pm »
I used to get vertigo often when I would close my eyes and lie down. Many sleepless nights and many sleeping sitting up in a chair....a few falls as well. It was one of the biggest problems to have to deal with...going sleepless is tough....even when you do sleep its not very sound...I certainly don't miss that sensation.

Not sure if you're a drinker or not but in my younger more foolish years I had the same sensation on a few occasions from drinking too much. It's the same as getting the spins after a night of partying...at least there isn't a hangover though.... ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Vincent87

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:21:22 am »
Mom's not a drinker, never has been, her beverage of choice is hot tea with lemon.

She did have bad, bad, bad vertigo on her way to hydrocephalus which prompted the shunt surgery.  A PT (from Nursing Home #2) we met along the way (who has since become a dear friend) even did the Eppley Manuever on Mom to ease the dizziness.  Mom got some relief for about an hour.  We've not tried it since.  Mom can also get this sensation if she's napping in her recliner. 

This feeling of falling usually happens about a half hour to an hour before her usual wake-up time. 

As for the spins...I KNOW about the spins; my momma doesn't.  LOL!

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 12:28:11 am »
IMO it probably has to due with the semicircle canal (inner ear).   There is a little balance bubble sort of speak that tells the brain what position we are in course AN Patience's usually only have one so if there is a disturbance we think we are spinning or falling. I experience this once about 4 months after my operation. Also, I was laying in bed and the room kept spinning in 180 degree turns (took about 10 Min's for it to pass and there was no way I could of got out of bed or stood up). Something to do with the calcium release in the semi circle canal I think.  I can understand the vision being flipped. When I woke up every thing was tilted 180 degrees and after about 16 hours or so my vision slowly came back upright. Was a wired feeling.

9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.