Author Topic: I'm having tinnitus in my good ear...  (Read 2540 times)

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
I'm having tinnitus in my good ear...
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:31:25 pm »
So, I had the translab on 12-11-09 for a 2.5cm AN on the right side. Of course, I've SSD and got a good bit of tinnitus going on in the right side.

The last three mornings I've woken up with tinnitus on the left side. It's come and gone throughout the day.

And, of course, now I'm stressing out that I might be NF2.

I had one MRI before my surgery. The ENT who interrupted it said nothing about the left side. My surgeon commented that a white spot on the right side was a vein and not a tumor.

But, of course, I'm freaking out now. I've only got one good ear now.

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever been through this? Is this just my good ear getting used to its new normal?

I feel like I've got enough to worry about without having to deal with this right now...

Thanks.
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.

moe

Re: I'm having tinnitus in my good ear...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 12:09:49 am »
Hi Eli,
I am SSD, with worse tinnitus on that side. Yep, I do notice that I have tinnitus on the other ear, and it was there after surgery. I just didn't hear it prior to the surgery.
My one year MRI said NO TUMOR, and my hearing has been perfect in my good ear.

So I wouldn't fret. Since you are SSD, you hear things differently. When you go for follow up, ask for an audiogram just to make sure your hearing is good on the good side.
I do also worry about one popping up on the good side. It's just natural. I don't want anything bad to happen to my good ear.
PLUS you are still fresh post op brain surgery.

The neurons are still going a little nuts in there, so the fact that the tinnitus comes and goes shows that things are just compensating in there.

Hope this helps.
Relax, you still need time to recuperate.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:15 am »
Thanks for replying, Moe!

I've had two audiology tests done pre-op and both were identical. Right ear - major hearing loss but really good word discrimination. Left ear is perfect. That's what scares me about the tinnitus in the left ear. I'm flying on one engine now and have to make it last...

My family was trying to tell me what you mentioned about being fresh post-op with a lot of changes going on internally. Sometimes it's hard to listen to them because they aren't in our shoes.

Thanks again!
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.

cecile k

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
Hi Eli:

Thought to chime in here as well. I experienced the same thing. No tinnitus in the good ear until about a month or so after surgery. It also scared the wits out of me so I understand how you are feeling. I've had numerous MRIs to monitor regrowth and there has never been any other AN located. Hopefully this will help you relax :-)

Cecile

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:35:39 pm »
Eli,
  Since you're Translab surgery was recent, my guess is that your brain is still adjusting to being SSD.  It's not unusual for AN patients to experience the sensation Tinitus on the AN side only, or both sides, or kind of universally as if it's one tinitus.   Give it some time, and it will hopefully improve for you.

Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW