Author Topic: Totally off topic . . .  (Read 2481 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Totally off topic . . .
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »
January is National Blood Donor Month and I just wanted to encourage those who can donate to do so.

Only 36% of the population is qualified to donate, and of those only 5% actually do.  I find that pretty sad, especially when one donation of whole blood can save up to 3 lives.  There are also other ways to donate - platelets or ALYX - that are equally important, so please give if you can.

I've been a regular donor for years  - had to defer myself around the time of my AN surgery - and I think it's important to get the word out.

Please pass this along to family members, friends, colleagues, etc.,  Blood is an important thing.  Donating is free and it takes very little time out of your day.  A needle in the arm once every 8 weeks is nothing compared to brain surgery  ;)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

Re: Totally off topic . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:51:55 pm »
Jan~
I am giving again and tried to go as a friend of mine was in a HORRIBLE car crash - he used 15 units in his 1st surgery (6 hours)!!  They set up an "honorary" (in his name but obviously he won't get THAT blood) - I went, but they don't need A+ right now!  They are supposed to call me ASAP when they need A+ again!

:D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:22:12 pm »
I agree 100% with what Jan says. My company does a blood drive about every 10 weeks and I donate a pint every time. It only takes about 30 minutes and is virtually painless. I realize not everyone can donate, but for those who can, I'd really encourage it....like Jan says, a pint can save 3 lives. This is another way of paying it forward.

I feel blessed to have come through my AN surgery in such good shape (without needing blood)....I realize that many surgeries require extra units of blood, so if and when my family or myself required donated blood in the future, I'd be very grateful for that supply to be there.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:51 am »
 I have an appointment on Thursday!  They have drives here at work throughout the year and I usually donate at least 3 times a year (except last year when I had my surgery, I only went once so I have to get back on track).

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:54:17 pm »
Extreme Home Makeover is doing a house in my neck of the woods this week (unveiling is Thursday, the show is Sunday)  I donated at the blood drive they set up.  They do an awfully lot for the community where they are building.  It is great to see all of the blood drives set up all over town and the county.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:01:35 pm »
WOW!  I didn't know that they did that while they were building...good to know!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:41:07 am »
Brenda,

I didn't know they did that either.  That is a great thing!

Jan, thanks for the reminder.  I haven't been able to donate for a while, but I'm pretty sure I can now.  I'll have to see when the next drive is around here.  I like to go to the ones at the churches - they have the best snacks for after you donate!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Thanks for the reminder Jan!
I'll try my hardest.
A-, (blood type)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty