Author Topic: shunt  (Read 2411 times)

badbadbrain67

shunt
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:28:19 am »
Because my tumor was so large, it was blocking my spinal fluid from draining naturally. As a result, my doctor put a shunt in my head to drain the fluid into my stomach.
After that I had the tumor removal surgery. My hair is not what it used to be and so I've been shaving my head for a number of years. Because of the two surgeries
I now have three very visible scars on a head that I will continue to shave. I am not a vain person and will wear my scars with pride. After all' they represent a war I
am fighting and will win. I do however have a bit of a problem with the shunt. I've been told that I'm stuck witj it for life. The valve which is just above my forehead
and next to my ear makes my head look misshapen. Now remember that I have no hair to cover it up and I refuse to do the comb over.
My question to you guys is, is there anyone out there who was told they would have to have a shunt for life but ended up having it taken out
for whatever reason. Is there hope for me?  If not, I suppose I'll just have to live with it. I'm ok with that too.

carter

Re: shunt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:18 am »
i am going to post one of those replies that does not say a lot --- so excuse me...

i do nto have the shunt --- just the lack of hair issue to share with you. 

sorry - i am in a good mood and just had to say hi and mess with you a bit.

now hopefully soemeone can give you a good answer.  i hope that your day is good as well

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:57:44 am »
Hi Badbrain and welcome.

I'm going to suggest you PM (email) Crazykat (Paul) on this site.

Paul had a shunt put in 1 month before his AN surgery.  The shunt remains.  Now, Paul is a Rockin'Roller type of dood, so he wears a scarf on his head (like other rockin'rollers... with his hair a bit on the longer side).

I have seen the scarf off and can see his shunt under the skin.  Paul has learned to handle it over the years and may be worth speaking to him about it.

Hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

reg

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »
i too have a shunt installed after surgery to drain fluid from my brain to my abdominal area  the problem (i think) with mind is i have nerve damage on the side that the shunt was routed (this is the only thing i could think of) it may have hit a major nerve (again this is my guess) when i attended the symposium in chicago i asked dr hain about possibity of the problem and having it removed, he said that there is a slight chance that it may be overshunting i spoke with my doctor and he suggested nerve medication (someelse i didnt want to hear) but back to your question my surgeons seem to think that the shunt has done its job and it wont affect anything to leave it alone or you can opt for surgery to have it removed i hope that made sense
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »
I found it Phyl!  

I hear you bad brain (no pun intended). I'm in the same boat. I'll get back to you soon.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:09:56 pm by ppearl214 »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.