Author Topic: Surgery Done!!  (Read 2294 times)

mnastasi

Surgery Done!!
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:03:02 am »
I did it!!!  I am 1 week post op right now.  I had my surgery Tuesday, Jan 19.  Everything went "as well as could be expected".  I have not outward facial issues at all.  I am having some trouble swallowing thick (like bread) substances.  I also cannot taste food.  There is a funny tasted in my mouth all of the time (like sweet?  coming from the back left -tumor side-)  I could hear right after surgery, but as of right now I cannot hear anything out of the tumor side.  I feel like one side of my face is in a bowl..I guess it still may come back, but heck, i can live with this (i think)...I am on my way to get my staples out right now..wonder what the neurosurgeon will say...  I feel great!  it is really better to be on this side of surgery!!  thanks for all of your support!!  by the way, i read some old posts about taste, but nothing new..does anyone have any residual taste/swallowing issues?
thanks again! :)

Kaybo

Re: Surgery Done!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:09 am »
HEY!!  Glad things are going well for you.  Remember to take it easy and listen to your body!  Sometimes we think we are doing so well and do too much (I wouldn't do that, would I? ::)) and then it takes a little longer to overcome!  I don't hear out of the right side, but I have adjusted.  Some folks don't & there are a options out there.  Let me know when you are ready to chat on the phone again!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:23:15 am »
Congratulations!! 

Metallic mouth usually doesn't last long term, but it's normal for the first couple of weeks and/or months post op.  It usually goes away on it's own, but there's a theory that zinc will speed up the process.  I don't know if there's any truth to that though.

Good luck with the neurosurgeon!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:03:21 am »
Yayyy, congrats on being a postie....Like Kaybo said....listen to your body and take it easy.  The steroids will give you unusual powers and then the next thing you know (after flying around rescuing cats out of trees and foiling bank robberies  ;D) you've overdone it.  I maintained my hearing and right after the surgery I could hear, even through all the head dresssing stuff.  Then the swelling and the residual fluids took over and it become very muffled.  They say it'd take about 6 weeks to clear up, it was about 5 when I noticed it had cleared up a lot.  I can hear pretty well now out of it, probably better than before I went in.  Anyways, continue to recover well, follow your doc's instructions to the letter and you should have no problems!! Again, congrats!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

moe

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:00 am »
Congratulations on your successful surgery!
Wow, one week out and you are emailing and sounding great.
Give yourself at least 4-6 weeks to recuperate with gentle walks, lengthy rest periods, lots of fluids, you know the routine!
Still some swelling going on in there, I'm sure, so your funny feelings should subside.
I had the metallic taste in the back of the affected side on the tongue. Weird, I know.
 Keep up the greeeaaaat recovery :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty