Author Topic: pinched nerve maybe  (Read 3158 times)

reg

pinched nerve maybe
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:02:50 am »
ive had a burning sensation along my left side every since surgery, its hard to describe kind of like a sunburn, tight feeling  has anyone else experienced this?  my thoughts were a pinched nerve maybe  ive been on venlafaxine for nerve pain and it does seem to dull the feeling its constant but bearable again just hard to explain   ???
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: pinched nerve maybe
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:33:25 pm »
Reg ~

I'm not a doctor and can't diagnose the cause of your pain from afar but it may have some connection to your AN surgery based on how you were positioned during the rather lengthy operation (mine went almost 9 hours).  I didn't experience this kind of post-op pain - which does seem to be nerve-related - but you should consult a physician about finding some relief.  There are many options to relieve nerve-related pain.  From medicine to nerve-block injections to implanted electronic devices.  I know this because my wife has suffered with nerve pain (due to spinal damage) that 3 different operations, numerous pain-blocking injections and a variety of drugs couldn't totally relieve.  She now has an implanted device (in her lower back) that she controls with a 'remote' and that sends a very mild electrical 'charge' down her leg that blocks her nerve pain.  It's a complicated deal but seems to be working for her.  So, there is hope.  Of course, in your case, the nerve-related pain may be temporary.  That's why I advise you to see a doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 08:07:31 am »
I to have a pinch nerve after surgery but the only thing I find strange is that I had a left AN removed but the pain I have is down my right leg .. the doctor called me and said it was confirmed I do have a pinch nerve. I am the type of person I listened hung up the phone and then thought to ask him which side ? I have to follow-up and ask him specifically about mine..

I hope that you find some relief with your pain,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

reg

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:02:16 pm »
i thought i was the only one experiencing this type of discomfort its on my left side extremities but i had the an removal on the right havent had the problem diagnosed as a pinched nerve  does it ever heal or go away?

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »
I have had it for several months now I just have to ask the doctor, right now just had enough with doctors.  I am taking alot of medications and still feeling this I could only imagine if I was not on medication how it would feel.  The worse though is in the evening I am taking ambien to get me through the night and once I wake up all down the leg is painful and no matter which way I turn it still hurts until I get up and then start the other medications 4 times a day helps. You should call the doctor to see if therapy or chiropractor might help you...but I would imagine they will send you for tests before any treatment is recommended...

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

reg

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »
thanks for the suggestions everyone, i hope its not permanent but it has been three years, iam seeing a pain doctor and i will ask about it hes got me on venlafaxine (generic effecor) and nortripaline which dulls the pain but i havent said anthing about a pinched nerve