Author Topic: Some just don't understand  (Read 3732 times)

phx

Some just don't understand
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:04:09 pm »
I have a 4.4 x 3 x3 cm tumor. I'm trying to stay very positive because I'm going to have  surgery soon, but it's  hard when people tell you all sorts of things. People keep asking me why I'm going to have surgery done when all I'm really experiencing is ringing in my hears, imbalance, and headaches. This tumor has been growing for who knows how long and these symptoms have slowly grown with it. People think because I'm up and working that I must be fine. They really don't understand. Sometimes the headaches are bad. I think half my pain and stress is from thinking about what people are thinking about me rather than what my tumor is doing to me. Anyone finding it difficult to explain to love ones about this kind of tumor. Its not that common. People wonder why I'm choosing surgery. They tell me that I won't be the same and that I'll be disabled. Really, who wants to hear this sort of thing during this time.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Some just don't understand
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:18 pm »
Phx:

People do have a way of volunteering their un-educated opinion in these matters, esp. our loved ones. They don't understand that a benign tumor can still cause alot of grief. What I usually tell people is that the tumor has to be treated before it gets bigger and makes treatment more complicated.   

My loved ones sometimes forget that I still have issues. I have a hearing aid that helps very little with conversation, but helps calm the tinnitus and helps with directionality when I'm outdoors. Well, my niece asked me the other day if I really needed "that thing". I wanted to smack her. But then I remembered she was one of the people who helped care for me post-op. You just have to be very forgiving.

I hope however annoying their opinions and comments are, that they come through for you when you have your surgery. And remember you always have us.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cecile k

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:26 pm »
I hear you and it is wonderful that this forum exists because here are people who really truly understand and will walk beside you every step of the way!

I may have been a bit dramatic with people prior to my surgery (to those who really had no clue) - I told them that I had a brain tumor that would keep growing, pressing on my brain stem and, if not dealt with, would cause death. I tried not to dwell on those who did not understand the situation and was thankful for those who really cared and were there especially during the recovery process. You quickly find out who are your true friends and also learn how important it is to reach out to others.

All the best - you will get through this...one step at a time.

Cecile

moe

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:44 am »
 :(I think half my pain and stress is from thinking about what people are thinking about me rather than what my tumor is doing to me. :(

This is so true-you will reach a time when you do what's right for you without worrying what others think. And you may end up communicating more with the people that DO understand.

It's such a complex process, and people may be  reacting out of ignorance of the situation and diagnoses.

I come from a large family, and really to this day, 3.5 years after surgery, they still don't understand, nor cared to understand the ramifications and specifics of this type of surgery. I guess that is how they cope. Some people I know still ask if there's anything they can do about my hearing. I say "no, I have a DEAD ear."

So that's why the forum is here, and hopefully there is a support group near you. Can you give us more specifics on your surgery and such?

We understand it all ;) Take care and keep posting :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:44:05 am »
Well, you can always look the in the eye and say, " Well, it keeps growing, and if I don't stop it, my brain will be pushed out my other ear, and that's not really an option for me."   Just because it's "benign" doesn't mean it's friendly or that it can be ignored.  What can I say, people can be ignoramuses.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:49:40 am »
I liked something the first neurosurgeon I saw told us - "I call these tumors noncancerous. I don't like to use the word 'benign' because a brain tumor can never really be 'benign'."
There is a thread in the post-treatment section, under the cognitive/emotional heading, that has this same title name. You might want to check it out now even before surgery. Hopefully it won't be too disheartening, because even though the "people don't understand" part of it seemed to be worse *after* surgery for a lot of people (at least it was for me since people can't see when you're dizzy and confused), there *are* people who understand out there - the people here on this community!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

epc1970

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
I think that Nicki made a great point-yes, AN's are benign but that does not mean that they do not impact the person either emotionality or physically. I was ans still am blown away at how little people scan seem to care or react-as Moe said maybe it is the way some people cope?? The good news is that you have found our little group here because each and everyone of us understands what you are going thru. Judging by the size of your tumor, you may not have  had a choice but to have surgery! I know I did not have the choice either. Clearly, anyone who would question why you are having surgery is just not well informed of your situation.   I am currently reading a good book that was recommended by Phyl called Living with a Hidden Disability. You can get it on Amazon.com and so far has been really helpful, supportive reading for dealing with exactly what you are talking about. Good lick-I noticed on another thread that your surgery is coming up soon.Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
Erin

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:22:23 pm »
The problem here is two fold. It is hard for me to say this, and I mean it in a good way, but you need to get a little tougher skinned. I had a stroke in April, and I appear to be perfectly normal, but I have word finding problems. Most of the time I can talk your ear off, but sometimes, I know what I want to say, but I  can't say the words...just a big hole in my brain keeps me from being normal...can't see it, not sick, just the facts. Most of the people around me know about this, and it is not a problem, but go into Home Depot and ask for.....??????...I'll think of it in a minute. It doesn't hurt my feelings, and I could care less about what they think.  Second part...just remind THEM that if they ever get sick, YOU will always be their best friend, and support them...need a ride to the doctor...go to the store...what ever it takes. I'm your friend!

Ask them if they had a cavity in a tooth. Would they just let it rot and fall out? Smart thing is to get the cavity filled and save your tooth. Maybe you can save your hearing, or your balance, or your ability to swallow and blink your eye by getting this surgery. I wish you the very best luck with you surgery and recovery...if you need a ride call me.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:22 pm »
Just keep our motto in your mind when you're dealing with life after diagnosis:

;D

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 05:03:32 pm »
Pat ~

As you see from reading the previous posts, we do understand - but often, friends, family and co-workers don't.  I guess I'm fortunate because I always thought that my family understood and most of the people I cared about did, too.  They 'got' the fact that what I had was serious.  No, it wasn't malignant but it could conceivable kill me if not addressed (my AN was 4.5 cm).  Beyond that, I never cared much what acquaintances thought.  I had the surgery and did well.  Later, as planned, I underwent 26 radiation treatments and did well with those, too.  I never looked for a lot of sympathy or understanding because I never wanted to appear 'needy' and to be honest, my wife and son and a few close relatives gave me all the support I felt I needed.  But that's me.  I'm somewhat independent and don't really expect others to understand my AN-related problems, which, to be honest, were few.    

I've found that just about everyone you'll ever know has something they're dealing with, especially as we age. I get that reality and so, while I welcome understanding and support from others, I don't really seek it out or have high expectations of receiving more than  a "how are you?" from friends, to which I usually reply "Fine.  Thanks for asking".  My friends deal with their own physical problems including back pain, high blood pressure, diabetes and other ailments.  I have none of these.  So, I don't expect them to really understand my SSD or that annoying but basically inconsequential little 'numb' spot on the side of my tongue or the fact that my balance isn't quite what it used to be, etc, etc.  I'm doing well and feel blessed.  I don't require others complete understanding of my specific physical deficits and the issues that they can bring, such as trying to hear in a noisy environment.  

My point is that sometimes, we just have to lower our expectations of others 'understanding'.  Our AN is invisible to them and our symptoms are not that obvious, either, especially hearing loss.  They likely have their own problems they're dealing with, as most people do.  I respect that and don't make others understanding my AN-related problems  an 'issue'.  Life is too short to get stressed by how other people react to us.  We can't control others actions and I refuse to be dismayed by them.  This may or may not be relevant for you but it's my opinion based on my experience.  I offer it in the hope it will help in some way, even if that means lowering your expectations of others 'understanding' of your AN issues.      

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

phx

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:57:37 pm »
Thanks everyone!!

knakag01

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »
Phx,
So sorry to hear that you are dealing with people who lack compassion and understanding :-[ You must do what feels right to you. We are here to support you!!

Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 05:56:05 am »
Phx,
So sorry to hear that you are dealing with people who lack compassion and understanding :-[ You must do what feels right to you. We are here to support you!!

Kim

Hi Phx!  You have received lots of great responses so i cannot add much...
But i will tell you that my long-time favorite friend/cousin really surprised me and said she didn't want to know the details.
SMACK!  This is how i learned how some deal with your situation.
I love her to death, but no more major discussion with her about my situation.

We are happy you have found this FANTASTIC group of folks!   ;D

And i will tell you, as Kim said, i have had to learn to do what feels right for me.  Maybe a little selfish, but necessary.

As Syl said, i hope that your family is there for you when you need them.  I know mine would be.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. 
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W