Author Topic: Getting Braces :( What about MRI's?  (Read 2365 times)

swhite

Getting Braces :( What about MRI's?
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:24:04 am »
After having braces as a kid, I may have to get them again :(  This doesn't excite me, but my bite is off and will just get worse over time.  I also had to have two molars extracted one-month post-op as they absessed in the hospital :(  Before I consider implants, they want me to get a full set of braces.  I guess if I need to, I should.  My next MRI will be in June.  Has anyone else had braces and had an MRI?   One orthodontist said I could get ceramic braces, yet the MRI facility said it was okay to have metal braces and it wouldn't matter.  My ENT is on vacation and won't be back until next week.  I'm on a timetable with one of my dental insurances (I have two) expiring the end of the month when I go on partial long-term disability and go back to work part time.  I'm glad we made the decision to have two dental insurance coverages this year!
Retrosigmoid 8/27/09 undiagnosed and suddenly; no symptoms prior; approx. 4cmx2cmx2cm; right-side, facial paralysis/weakness, SSD and tinnitus. Baha surgery 11/9/10.
Gamma Knife 8/11/14 at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford after regrowth detected June 2014

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Getting Braces :( What about MRI's?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:19:12 am »
It depends on what "metal" the braces are made of.

Titanium is okay for MRIs - I have lots of it in my head (mesh, screws, plate, BAHA abutment).  I'd go with the opinion of the MRI facility where you have your scans done.  They should know.

When you do have the braces and go for your MRIs, you should make sure you tell the technician you have them - even if that's totally obvious.  As I said, I have lots of "hardware" but I've been told to always tell that to the technician so he/she is aware of it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways