Author Topic: Jaw Pain  (Read 4682 times)

LID

Jaw Pain
« on: April 16, 2006, 10:57:39 am »
I am suffering from terrible jaw pain on the affected side. It is becoming painful to even use a straw.  Any thoughts on this? Is this  due to manipulation during suregery?  Any suggestions for relief?

Lynn
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:14:12 am by LID »
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Jaw Pain
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
maybe TMJ... do you grind your teeth in your sleep?
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stein78

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:12:24 pm »
My jaw was KILLING me on my AN side after surgery.  I couldn't even come close to opening my mouth all the way.  It did go away in a few weeks.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 08:15:48 pm »
Sounds like it could be TMJ to me.  I know my surgery aggrevated mine and somedays the unaffected side kills me as the an side is numb. Heat packs, massage, chiropractic adjustments, teeth guards all help.  I think because part of my face is numb I can't tell if I'm clinching or grinding my teeth.

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 11:49:53 am »
Hi Lynn,

Do not panic! Depending on the approach that was used for your surgery the doctors may have weakened your temporalis muscle. You most likely do not have TMJ. I had the same problem. Dr. Hitselberger said to apply heat over the sore area and probably do some massage. I applied a heat compress every night before going to bed and in less than a week, I felt a whole lot better. If you want to email me, please feel free desilu7@verizon.net . Hope you feel better soon, Ann 
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:38:19 pm »
Between the intubation, cutting of headmuscles (esp middle fossa) and head in vise during surgery--we get all sorts of strange pain, esp when the steroids wear off.  My jaw still hurts at times, but I do jaw stretches when I notice it.  My dentist told me to stick my knuckes between my teeth to try and get some mobility back in my jaw.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 07:35:53 am »
Er um Deb are you sure that's why your dentist told you to stick something in your mouth?   ;D

DeniseSmith

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:44:08 am »
I get jaw pain also.  Sometimes it hurts so bad, I can't chew.  I don't use the left side of mouth because of the facial paralysis. So I am not sure what is happening.  My cheek will also hurt, and I then get a sharp pain in my forehead. I don't know why this happens to me.  After my surgery i could not open my mouth very far.  I was unable to use a straw until about six months after my surgery.  I see my ENT surgeon in two weeks, I hope he can give me some good answers.

D

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 08:41:17 am »
I keep hearing about a "Phantom" when weird symptoms are appearing.. .hoping it's just in my head...

...gawd, I can't believe I just said that!

Hoping you all are doing ok.... no jaw pain here except for my TMJ but heck, the recent stresses have me grinding my teeth again. Time for an enamel check.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pembo

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:38:44 am »
I've had a lot of weird pains too. I take them as a good sign that the nerves are refiring but it does hurt. I usually massage the area and that helps.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 11:50:39 am »
refiring, misfiring, heck, they are firing and I also agree.. I'll take it as a good sign! :)

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 07:39:03 pm »
Phyllis do you think you're jaw pain could be from excessive talking?   ::) :-* :-* :-* ;D