Author Topic: Cyberknife after AN surgery  (Read 1669 times)

DarleneN

Cyberknife after AN surgery
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »
Hi!
I would love to hear from people who had cyberknife after having AN surgery.  Side effects??  What size tumor is OK to leave behind?  When is wait and see OK after leaving some tumor behind?

Thanks,
Darlene

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Cyberknife after AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:31:38 pm »
I would expect depending on how much was left that most doctors would presume they wait and watch the remainder for awhile to see if it dies off on it's own after it's blood supply is gone.  And then, only if it doesn't seem to be undeterred will they come after with radiation.  Sometimes, the remainder does just die off..other times it doesn't.

What size is left is really determined by the doctor doing the surgery at the time..  They'll take just enough not to irritate the facial nerve.  There's no pat answer for how much is left behind.  At least that's my understanding.

I can't speak to side effects of CK, however I presume the side effect are generally the same as surgery, GK or CK.  What tends to vary is the RISK level of said side effect.  I can't speak to CK side effects as I had surgery, however.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »
Hi, Darlene ~

I didn't have CyberKinfe but I did undergo tumor debulking surgery, then FSR.  My AN was close to 5 cm and the neurosurgeon reduced it to about 2.5 cm, leaving some so as to not disturb my facial nerves.  The FSR (26  40-minute sessions) had no side effects and seems to have been effective.  I had no post-op facial mobility issues and my last MRI showed that necrosis and some minor shrinkage was occurring.  I have to concur with Brian ('Pooter') that the amount of tumor left behind is specific to the patient and the doctors best judgment.  I believe that observation is a reasonable course of action when a partial AN resection has been performed but my neurosurgeon wasn't taking any chances.  I agreed. Hence, my FSR was pre-scheduled for 90 days post-op, to, as my doctor put it: "give my brain some time to heal". Your doctor may have a different approach because each AN patient is an individual and every doctor has their own way of approaching the situation.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

clr

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:51:58 am »
Hello Darlene,

My daughter had cyberknife treatments after her debulking surgeries. Her tumor was alittle over 1 cm when she had her treatments done and she had them done 4 months after her last surgery. She was currently (and still is) taking classes at University of Pittsburgh and she never missed a beat. So far, she has had no side effects from the cyberknife which I find truly amazing. We go for her first MRI after treatment this Tuesday, the 23rd. Hopefully, everything will be as it should be!

Cindy (& Betsy)
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:35 am »
Hi Darlene
Brain is right-how much is left is a call the surgeon had to make dependent on how the facial nerve was reacting to the surgery. I have about 7mm left out of a 3.8 cm tumor. I had surgery in '08 and was advised to only have radiation if my residual tumor shows signs of growth. My most recent scan showed that my residual tumor was actually shrinking in size.They did cut off the blood supply and I was told that it appeared to be "collapsing in on itself". My next scan is coming up on March 1st...fingers crossed! Regardless, if I had to have some form of radiation, I would not be concerned because if all of the experiences I have read about here on the forum. Take care Darlene!
Erin