Author Topic: shingles  (Read 1254 times)

DarleneN

shingles
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »
Hi!

My son had AN surgery January 21, and in general is doing fine.  However, he developed a red area on the skin behind the ear (on the surgery side) that extends down to his neck.  It now has many small little pimple like things with white heads.   He has had it for about a week now.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse or better.  It sounds like Shingles to me.  He is reluctant to go to the doctor, since it isn't bothering him, due to the basic numbness in that area after the surgery.  He wants to just ride it out.  Has anyone experienced something like this?  Suggestions???

Thanks so much,
Darlene Newton

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: shingles
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »
Darlene ~

I'm not a doctor and cannot credibly (or legally) offer medical advice.  However, I haven't heard of this kind of rash following AN surgery and from my admittedly limited medical  knowledge, I don't believe your son is suffering from shingles, which are usually accompanied by other symptoms, including pain. I would strongly advise him to make an appointment with a doctor to find out what this is and to alleviate or cure it, if possible.  If your son is a minor, you can make the decision to see a doctor, for him.  If he is over 18, as I suspect, you'll have to depend on motherly persuasion.  Good luck.  :)

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ombrerose4

Re: shingles
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:25:12 pm »
It definitely doesn't sound like shingles to me. Shingles is extremely painful and usually  found in several areas on the same side. My brother and my father both had it a few years ago. Usually a red area or streak that extends outward/downward is a sign of an infection. I would suggest that your son be seen by his doctor as soon as possible. It's best to be cautious about these things especially since since it is near the surgery site.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010