Author Topic: Balance and Bike - 11 weeks + out  (Read 5062 times)

another NY postie

Balance and Bike - 11 weeks + out
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:24 pm »
I am so thrilled right now...I do not know why I have been so lucky with my recovery - I know each body heals differently and I have often felt a bit guilty that I have been doing so well  but I just had to share this one as I am so excited!  It is nice today after a black ice-coating kind of day yesterday and I have been thinking lately that I could ride a bike...so my husband insisted on a helmet and I took my daughter's bike and SUCCESS!  I could ride and turn...not ready for traffic and the head did feel a bit odd - not wonky head just the feeling that I wouldn't be aware enough of cars...but pre-surgery, I was wondering if I would ever be able to ride a bike again...so I have come a long way in a short time.  I felt five again.... ;D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

opp2

Re: Balance and Bike - 11 weeks + out
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »
Congratulations!!! Your daughters helmet? how'd that fit???? :P

Pplease don't feel anything but joy about an excellent recovery. I'm so pleased for you, and I'm certain every one of us on here is too!!!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:52:55 pm »
Its always great to here when someone has such a good recovery.  Thanks for posting your fast recovery.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:23:20 pm »
Cheryl ~

Congratulations on conquering the dreaded post-op bicycle-riding hurdle!  I haven't rode a bike in many years but I keep wondering if I still can.  Unfortunately, my son (age 30) is no help at all and I don't know any kids that would allow me to ride their bike - with or without a helmet.   

Please continue to post your milestones and victories both large and small - and never feel 'guilty' about enjoying a good recovery from AN surgery.  I had a similar recovery experience and instead of feeling guilty, I've tried to encourage other AN patients with my story as well as offering whatever practical advice I might have to give.  I trust you'll do the same so thanks for sharing your post-op experience with fellow AN patients.  It's encouraging and helpful to many, I'm sure.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:00:25 pm »
Great job...no need to feel guilty about doing so well. Keep it up and always always be safe and wear your helmet. Keep posting your successes.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »
Great milestone, Cheryl.

Congrats!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:33:02 am »
Keep up the bike riding but please get your own helmet and never feel guilty you are setting a good example to pre-ops that successes do happen...

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:50 am »
My daughters are 13 and 10 and I am petite so it is not a far stretch for the helmet or the bike - probably a size down from mine, if that (my bike is in the storage shed for winter) I wanted to be able to have my feet firmly planted just in case. I am feeling very empowered...I am going to try skiing next! ;D

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:16:41 am »
Congratulations! It's wonderful to get back into "normal" things. I understand your guilty feelings...I've felt much the same. I find myself occasionally editing posts because of it. But I also pray that others that are in the same shoes I was in just a short time ago might also gain some hope from the good news. I truly believe that pushing ourselves hard is the best way to beat these things.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Keri

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:04:36 pm »
Good for you, Cheryl! It's encouraging when you post news like this. Now you'll need to change your sig to "rockin' and rollin' and riding' "  !!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:24:14 am »
Cheryl,

Congratulations on achieving this great milestone! You rock!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:59 pm »
One word reaction - "AWESOME!!!"

I am so happy for you Cheryl and can understand the giddy feelings you describe.  I have thought about airing up the tires in my bike and going for a quick spin, but the weather has been too darn cold.  It will happen soon enough I am sure.  ("soon enough": May 2010 or when the average temp rises above 40 degrees)

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

ghenier27

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »
Congrats on your bike ride, doesn't feel great to do something that you used to do again :D ! Keep us posted on your recovery updates, Debi

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 07:30:18 am »
Ok, I am adding sledding to my list!  Decided to go for a little sledding after our snow...Didn't get dizzy and my steering was WAY off but according to my husband, I was a lousy sled-steerer pre-surgery so I can't blame that on my AN!   ::)

Cheryl
(And no, I didn't wear a helmet although I knew I should - my 13yrs old was horrified at the idea so I just made sure I was well clear of trees and kiddies. :D

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 02:39:37 pm »
OK Cheryl, I finally got the chance to join you and Mike.  It has been sunny and warmer (relatively speaking) and despite piles of snow on either side of the driveway I jumped on my bike for a quick spin.  Our drive is fairly long (just under 500') so I was able to get going at a nice pace.  No problems during my two lap sprint, not even when looking over my shoulder.  Hopefully this will be the situation when the spring thaw finally arrives... which is usually May or June in Michigan.

So I guess that makes me an official member of the "Brackmann Bikers Club"!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."