Author Topic: another silly question?  (Read 2372 times)

luv2teachsped

another silly question?
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:48:56 pm »
Everyone I talk to( experience with deafness and hard of hearing) suggests I have a smoke detector with a strobe installed in my house.  I stood underneath my battery operated detector and plugged my good ear. Nada, Nothing!  I live alone, but at $129.00 I don't want to do it if It's not necessary.  Anyone have any experience with smoke detectors? Or know where I can find one cheaper??Luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

Re: another silly question?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:12:35 pm »
Hey luvs are you saying when you set it off with your good ear plugged you didn't hear it?  Did you hear it without your good ear plugged?  Something I've thought of but after surgery my battery went low and I could hear the darn thing chirp that annoying chirp but still if I was sound asleep I wonder if I'd hear it... :(

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 10:51:10 pm »
My neighbor has a deaf daughter, and she introduced me to the site they use for products... looks like they have smoke detectors and it looks like they don't come much cheaper than that, but they do have a selection.  Try www.harriscomm.com  I've been thinking of doing the same thing. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Static

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 06:34:46 am »
Will have to check that site for an alarm clock that works!  Been setting the alarm on my cell and putting it under my pillow at night.  I either am awakened by that or the yappy pup!  Hopefully she will eventually stop yapping but I do need something if she doesn't yap like this morning.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

DeniseSmith

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:46:38 am »
Hi, all,

I have also been mulling over the smoke alarm issue in my head for awhile.  I have done no research, but it would probably be a smart thing to have.

Also, I have an alarm clock that has a device attached to it that you either put it under your pillow or between the mattresses and it shakes the bed, so you wake up.  Also, the alarm on it is extremely loud and I am awakened by it even sleeping on my hearing ear.  You can find it at Sharper Image. 

Denise

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:37:16 am »
They have all that stuff at harriscomm as well...alarm clocks, phone strobes, etc.  My neighbor has been great...my surgeon will be the same one that fixed her daughter's cochlear implant, and she can totally sympathize with the SSD thing. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

luv2teachsped

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 03:24:02 pm »
Thanks everybody!  I guess I bite the bullet and spend the $$$.Harris products is where I found the smoke detector.  Other places have it too, same price.  I have also used the alarm clock that you can place under your pillow and it vibrates. I didn't think I would feel it if I was sleeping hard(drugged, of course)  but I did. I just borrowed it, but don't have one.  After being late to work a few times recently I thought about purchasing one!luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07