Author Topic: flying  (Read 4260 times)

Karen

flying
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »
We are getting ready to go to Cancun next week.  Does flying pose any problem after AN surgery?  Mine was 6 years ago.  I wonder about the altitude?  Also with my dry eye has anyone had problems on the plane?  Tired of the snow can't wait for warm weather and beaches!!!!  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

JerseyGirl2

Re: flying
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:28:44 pm »
Hi,

I've flown a fair number of times, both domestically and abroad, since my AN surgery two years ago. My first flight was 10 days after surgery and I didn't have any problems then or on any of the subsequent flights.

I think if your surgery was six years ago you should be just fine!

I can't address your dry eye issue since I didn't experience that, but hopefully someone who has had that problem will chime in.

Have a great time in Cancun!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:14:15 pm »
We are getting ready to go to Cancun next week.  Does flying pose any problem after AN surgery? 

In this case, yes it does, so you had better mail me the tickets for "safe keeping."  ;D

Enjoy.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »
Hi Karen,  I've flown many times since my surgery in 92 and have had no problems.  I use ointment in my eye 24/7, have no moisture at ALL!  My only recommendation is that you direct the over head vent to the person next to you providing they don't mind or just turn the vent off.  Enjoy your trip, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:04 am »
Hi Karen
I would seriously start packing right now! I flew west to east coast 2 weeks post op and had flown several times since. No problem. I did not notice any increased dry eye issues but bring eye drops etc on board with you just in case. Have a margarita for me!
Erin

texsooner

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:55:53 am »
I fly all the time for my job....no issues.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:58:40 am »
I agree with the consensus.  I had my a retrosigmoid removal done on December 14th.  I just flew on a commercial flight two weeks ago and had absolutely no problem.  I called my neurosurgeon to get approval first, and I was told as long as it is a commercial flight the cabin is pressurized and there is no danger.  I didn't feel any additional pressure or pain on my flight.

Enjoy Cancun.  I'm jealous.   :)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:30 am »
Hi
My neurosurgeon told me six weeks out (apr/09) that I can drive, fly or scuba dive if I wanted to..I just recetly flew to Mexico and back with no problems...Mind you the taking off was a little lound so I pluggged my good ear until after we were in the air.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:32 pm »
Had my surgery on 5/31/07, got on an airplane to Denver (high altitudes) the first week in August.

No issues whatsoever.  No eye problems.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybee

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:19 pm »
I have nothing significant to add except to say thanks for asking this question! My brother just asked me the same question this weekend and I had no idea.
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 12:12:21 am »
I think the answer is: if you had problems equalizing your ears prior to surgery, you may after surgery as well.  If you didn't, you likely won't.  Seems like the surgery plays no part.  (I was fine before, and have been fine after on several flights).

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

wcrimi

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 03:41:46 pm »
Does a titanium mesh set off the metal detectors?

I'd hate to get arrested as a potential terrorist and have to try to explain and prove that it's all in my head.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »
Wayne ~

To the best of my knowledge, titanium does not set off metal detectors.  My wife has titanium rods and screws in her spine and neck and flew to Scotland a few years ago with no metal detection alarm problem at the airport.  Most medical implants tend to be made of titanium so this usually is not an issue.  Of course, as always, I could be wrong.  If so, you'll soon find out.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 04:06:31 pm »
Does a titanium mesh set off the metal detectors?

No, it does not.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ