Author Topic: My hearing is better??!!  (Read 2236 times)

sunfish

My hearing is better??!!
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
 ???  Went to ENT and audiologist for followup today.  I told them, "I don't know - my hearing does seem different over the past few months."  They did audiometry, and guess what - they swear my hearing is much better than it was in September.  I said, "Well, I think I tried harder today, maybe now I know what to listen for."  They replied, "No way does 'trying harder' account for this improvement."  Less conductive loss, less sensory-neural loss, better speech discrimination (which they thought was the biggie).  OK, OK - I know not to get too excited, and that things can change (generally for the worse) with ANs and CK.  And it's way to early after CK to know what the final outcome will be. The docs scratched their heads and said they think CK changed something in that ear.  My thought later - maybe the steroids reduced some sort of swelling or something.

Still having problems with blood pressure - up way high on Friday, docs put me on new meds.  No one knows why it's up and won't come back down.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Lizard

Re: My hearing is better??!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:02:07 am »
Wow, how exciting!  As you said a lot can change, but its a positive.  Enjoy it, who knows what will happen later on, but there is no reason you shouldn't be excited.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

crivers

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:32 pm »
That is great - we can only hope to improve after treatment in the hearing department.

On a separate note, did you find the hearing aid to help? I never got one, as I wasn't sure it would help and I couldn't find someone to give me one to try and see the results before I purchased one - they are quite expensive, so I passed. I'd like to hear about your experience with it.

Cheers.
Cayce
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:50 pm »
I absolutely love my hearing aid.  I call it my "ear."  But my hearing loss is mild/moderate.  And it is, at least in part, due to conductive/middle ear loss.  Different from strictly sensory-neural loss that you get from the AN (I have that too).  Conductive loss is when the little bones in your middle ear don't work right for some reason (I landed on my head in a bad bicycle wreck two years ago).  How well a hearing aid helps you depends on what sort of hearing impairment you have.

There have been some huge advances in hearing aids in the last few years.  I use the Dot 220 by ReSound.  Teeny tiny digital aid, technology wasn't even available a couple years ago.  I think your in Australia, Cayce?  In the U.S., many states are now requiring that insurance companies pay at least $1000 toward a hearing aid.  So I paid about $700 out of pocket.  And my doctor's office has a trial program where you can try the thing for 30-60 days before you purchase, so you can see how it works out.

If I'm awake and not underwater, I have my hearing aid on!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC