Author Topic: Cranial Nerve Exam  (Read 1792 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Cranial Nerve Exam
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:15:36 am »
I am posting this because I was diagnosed one year ago this weekend,.. "Happy Anniversay" to my schwammy. 
But more importantly, I went 11 months until I found a doctor who actually took interest in my case.  I was sent home from Toronto hospital only to wait it out and come back in 3 years for an MRI.  No cranial exam or anything was ever done on me until just last month when I insisted I see a neuro-surgeon. 
Amazing to me, he tested stuff and asked questions that I had not heard before.  Anyway, the cranial nerve exam is important to have done from the start to track your progress or issues.  I found a cool site on youtube with one.  IF you have not had one of these... you should (of course I am not a doctor).   
I would suggest knowing your body and what these nerves do, that way you will know if somethings up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0vtkXMr7qQ&feature=related
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

mk

Re: Cranial Nerve Exam
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:34:21 pm »
Interesting, thanks for posting this. It gives good insight on the cranial nerve functions.

Also I found it noteworthy that if someone had performed this test on me three years ago (when my AN must have already been good sized), I would have passed this test with flying colours, since I hadn't experienced any of the symptoms described. So this test would essentially have failed to detect that anything was wrong.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Re: Cranial Nerve Exam
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:52:13 am »
Marianna...
That is funny, cause I also passed it with flying colours too!  lol

JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co