Author Topic: Bad Breath???..metallic/copper/blood taste???  (Read 6677 times)

tenai98

Bad Breath???..metallic/copper/blood taste???
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »
For the last few months my partner has been telling me my breath stinks....I figure it might be due to the AN...never had it before...I took note of when he mentioned it and it is when I have the metallic/copper taste in my mounth...Does anyone else have this????  I see my dentist twice a year for a cleaning, so I dont think its my gums..but I will mention it to my dentist when I see him next.  I will also mention it to my ENT on Monday when I get my very own BAHA BP100 :)
I bought some zinc lozengers today, hoping that will eliminate the problem???
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Re: Bad Breath???..metallic/copper/blood taste???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:55:08 pm »
I have it off and on, when I get it I just feel my mouth watering and then it is all metallic, not sure if it has to do with our ANs but I just get to the point where I am just tired of telling the Dr's I have this symptom and that.  It would be interesting to hear what your Dr. says..
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

bell

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:57:00 pm »
Hi Jo,
I had  metallic breath after surgery for many months.  I do notice it sometimes still in the morning and I am 15 months post op, so it is getting better. During the day is pretty good.  Let us know what the dentist's says.  Bell

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:35 pm »
Bell
I'm post op one yr on wed and the metallic taste has been on and off...but its the stinky breath..not that i notice it, but my partner does...and only in the last few months
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »
Louie runs when I try to kiss him!!  I know my breath is bad I can taste it.  Anyone want a kiss?  :-*
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MamaGina

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:35:42 am »
I, too, have the metallic taste and bad breath off and on.  I'm not sure they are related.  Bad breath is caused by low moisture, and I have mouth dryness on the left due to the cranial nerve damage.  I experience the metallic taste like someone else mentioned: it begins to water and then I taste it.  I have speculated this was also due to cranial nerve damage: possibly like a hallucination?  The nerve is stimulated and causes a taste that isn't there. I have also smelled things that aren't really there since my surgery.  As someone else said, I get very tired of telling the doctors all these symptoms.  I would love to tell the neurosurgeon, though, since he seemed to think I would go back to normal.  He was so wrong, and I wish he would have given me the right information. 
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:04:33 pm »
Good luck MommaGina!!  Neurosurgeons think they are one level below the All Mighty.  All he or she knows is their little area of expertise and nothing else.  Kind of like a horse with blinders on.  Now this is only MY expert opinion.  As a collective group our knowledge is greater and I think that is why many Drs discourage us from forums and Internet research.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games