Author Topic: cold got the better of us..  (Read 2187 times)

opp2

cold got the better of us..
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »
I have had a head cold since last week...I think it started on Tues Mar22nd when I had a really bad head day...I managed to get through last weekend at the ski lodge with my kids taking their first lessons. I found that my condition deteriorated significantly from Wed Mar 31 to yesterday. I don't normally attend the doctors for a cold but this has been amazing. My soft palate must be swollen because swallowing has been a nightmare. I already have issues with loss of sensation on the tumour side (left) but with the pain from this cold I found myself actually having to think about how to swallow to get dinner down...holy cow.

I went to the walkin at my doctors, and unfortunately she wasn't in. She's been pretty attentive since we found out about the tumour. This doctor, despite my attempts to explain that I had swallowing problems, and the swelling in my soft palate was making it hard to breathe, basically told me to 'suck it up'. It would have been comical if I hadn't been in such a state. She was talking to herself , out loud, asking herself if she should give me anti virals or anti biotics...then she said really I should just wait 24 hours of so and it should clear itself up...

hello...I already waited 10 days...She says I'll give you a script for antibiotics but I don't want you to fill it until tomorrow...(It's Good Friday here, most of the stores are closed here today) and if you still feel bad fill the script...

I'm sure this was a matter of my lack of ability to articulate just how bad I felt, but this am I almost went to the hospital. I've never has such a sore throat. My neck muscles were so sore and stiff, I'm sure it was from lack of sleep...

Anyway.... sorry to drag this on...I went on line and found this recipie for sore throat remedy.  1/4 c of vinegar (white or apple cider) 1/4 c of warm water and 1 tsp salt. Gargle one time per hour...

Holy cow...it worked nearly immediately I had relief from the sore throat. No pain at all...tastes like salt and vinegar chips.

I still feel like sh*t, don't get me wrong, and I filled the script and started taking them this am. (we found an open pharmacy) but I wanted to say

have anyone else felt so crappy with a cold and thier an?
and if you have a really sore throat...try this remedy..

I don't have my surgery til May-Jun. Hoping to stay relatively healthy until then..
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Re: cold got the better of us..
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »
I've been fighting a cold all week. Feel like total crap. I'll have to try the "recipe" for the sore throat, which has mostly bothered me at night, although maybe I'm past the worst of it now. Fortunately, I'm far enough past my surgery, that I don't feel any affects from my past AN.
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Lizard

Re: cold got the better of us..
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:06:44 am »
Its hard to deal with a cold when you are not 100%, hopefully the antibiotics will help.  Try to get in touch with your Dr on Monday either way just so she's tuned in.
Feel better,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt