Author Topic: Radiation Fog?  (Read 2642 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Radiation Fog?
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »
Is there such a thing as radition fog?  It's like I lose my words, space out and can't remember stuff.  I have fibromyalgia (diagnosed after GK), and the doc said you can get fibro fog sometimes.  But, my husband knows a guy at work who had radiation for a brain tumor, and by late afternoon this guy gets the "fog" stuff.  My husband said he sees the same stuff in me.  It is very bothersome.  Usually happens when I am tired.  Just curious if anyone has noticed something like this ("the fog") after GK or CK?

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

Re: Radiation Fog?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »
I certainly had a period after treatment where I would get fatigue in the afternoon, and the state of mind that brings on could be described as foggy. I'm not sure it was really different from any other kind of fatigue, though. It did seem to happen more the first year than it has since. As you are having balance issues, that will contribute, because trying to compensate for that will wear out the brain pretty quickly.

Nice to hear from you, Nancy. I hope it settles down for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that with almost every kind of brain surgery or radiation, when a person gets tired, symptoms are much worse.  Why I don't know, but my doctor agreed with this and basically said, "Well, that's just the way it is."  The fog is probably due to your damaged vestibular system.  This is from that article on how the balance system works,  and I think you have read it before....but it's always good to read it again and be assured in some small way, that this all goes along with our balance system being out of whack.  I still have some of these symptoms, 4 years after treatment.  Maybe they will go away.  Maybe they won't.  They aren't very severe, but I notice a few things still.   Hang in there, Nancy, as you are younger than me and you have a greater chance that these problems will smooth out over time. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Unlikely as it seems, vestibular damage can cause memory problems. Here is why. When you damage your vestibular system, keeping your balance is now largely a conscious effort, not the automatic effortless procedure it once was. Consequently, those areas of your brain that you once just used for thought and memory, now must constantly work on keeping you balanced. As a result, your memory may suffer. You may grope for words when talking. You may easily forget what is being spoken about during a conversation. You may be easily distracted. You may have difficulty comprehending directions or instructions. You may have trouble concentrating and may feel disoriented at times.( I have this one on occasion!)

You may also experience fatigue because keeping your balance is now no longer a subconscious event, but something that you must consciously work hard to maintain. All this work makes you tired!

Vestibular damage may also give rise to muscular aches and pains. This is because when your vestibulo-spinal reflex no longer works automatically, you have to consciously control your balance by making your muscles rigid and less relaxed as you strain to keep your balance. In addition, you may get headaches and a stiff/sore neck from trying to hold your head absolutely still so you won't feel dizzy or nauseous.

Finally, damage to your vestibular system can include emotional problems such as anxiety, frustration, anger and depression. Your feelings of self-confidence and self-esteem may plummet. You may feel vaguely uneasy. You may feel that something is wrong or unreal without knowing why.

If you have a damaged vestibular system, you won't necessarily have all of the above symptoms, but you may experience many of them.

By
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

GRACE1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:05 am »
Nancy,

I hope this fog things clears up for you.  It is good to hear from you again. 

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:43:23 pm »
Haven't checked here for a while so just want to thank all of you for the input.  Starting back to vestibular therapy tomorrow after taking a couple of weeks off.  I get so frustrated with the balance issues sometimes that I just want to wash my hands of it.  Then a fall will come along and I'll think maybe I am just giving up and not giving myself a chance to make positive changes in my life.  I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I go back and forth thinking is it the AN stuff of the fibro that is causing this or that.  Am I tired all of the time because of the fibro or is it because of the things written in the article Sue posted.  Seems like symptoms overlap.  I just know that I want my life back.  Thinking of going to one of those fybromyalgia centers where they do extensive blood tests so they can find the underlying cause which a rheumatologist might not be looking for.

I'll report back.  Life has got to get better.  Can't give up now.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs