Author Topic: Good vibrations?  (Read 2684 times)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
Good vibrations?
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:30:55 pm »
Howdy,

I had Translab surgery about 6 weeks ago. This resulted with me being totally deaf in my right ear.

Today, I was at my children's school and the office secretary made an anouncement over the P.A. and I felt strong vibrations in my right ear. There was an "electronic" sound that went along with the vibrations of her statment or her speech pattern.

Has anyone else experienced that. I thought the ear that the surgeon went through was "dead".

Dan ???
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Crystal

Re: Good vibrations?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:11:42 pm »
HI Dan,

I get a blasty white noise sound in noisy environments and I also get a brief zappy sound when I am startled, almost like an insect buzzes my ear.  My translab was in december.  I'm guessing it is something wierd about the brain sending those signals because I am totally deaf in that ear just as the doctors told me I would be. 

Best wishes,

Crystal

Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Dantheman

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:14:06 pm »
I'm totally deaf as well...but these were solid vibrations that were only present during the anouncement. It followed the speech pattern. Now mind you, I was probably standing beneath a speaker in the hallway...but I didn't think I was supposed to get any stimulation in that ear.

My Dr. told me when he performed the translab that he was able to preserve the nerve that goes to my cochlea. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I guess I'll see what the audiologist says next week.

Dan
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 12:47:23 pm »
Even though they cut the nerve and took out the guts, you still have an eardrum.  I have been in situations where something has made it vibrate.  That's my guess.  Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened!!!!!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 03:11:35 pm »
Dan, I get a stinging pain in my bad ear when I get close to one of those demo speakers with the mic in the supermarket.  I wear ear plugs in there or put my finger in when I go by them.  Rats! I hate supermarket acoustics.

Dantheman

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:19:57 pm »
Well folks, I got my answer on Monday.

My audiologist told me that my choclea is healthy and trying to work, hence the vibrations and electronic type noise. The nerve is obviously shot from the AN and the trans lab surgery, so the vibrations can't be sent to my brain turned into useful sound.

Dan

kma

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:11:56 pm »
Holy moly....I know I must sound like a dork (ha...sorry) but I finally find someone (or more than one) that is (or was) experiencing what I have been experiencing with the crazy zap/buzz/vibration in my ear.  Doctor thinks I'm crazy but YAY...finally proof that I'm not actually crazy (well....'ish).  Joy joy joy!!!!!  Life is Good : )
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!