Author Topic: Asking for my father...  (Read 3673 times)

Klynn

Asking for my father...
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:50:59 am »
Hello all,

My Dad is currently in Los Angeles recovering from surgery on May 12 at House.  He was moved to Seton Hall on Sunday evening and has had a hard time getting a restful night's sleep.  Last night he woke up and told my Mom he didn't "feel right".   I know that is a vague statement but I am wondering if it is the steroids?  I have read they can do some pretty weird things to you.  I am just wondering what different effects they have had on everyone?  Of course my mom will call Dr. Brackmann if he gets worse.

I have come again and again to this forum looking for answers and have found it to be a great resource.  My Dad has also read through some but he is a very private person and didn't want to actually sign on and introduce himself.  I respect his privacy, but wanted to throw this out there for my own personal reassurance.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

K

Kaybo

Re: Asking for my father...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:31 am »
Hi & welcome!

It could be the steroids - everyone recovers so different.  I know I have read on here that many have trouble getting comfortable at first.  It was so long ago for me, I don't really remember.  Sorry...I am not much help!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:35:25 am »
K .....

Your dad is in good hands at House with Dr. Brackmann.  Kaybo is right, everyone's recovery is so different it is almost impossible to describe a normal or routine recovery.  Yes, steroids can definitely make one feel not quite right ...... insomnia is a frequent side effect of big doses.  However, your dad (or mom) should alert the doctor's office if he has any sudden, new, troubling symptoms.  Even just to call for some reassurance wouldn't hurt ..... that's what they get the big bucks for!   ::)

Best thoughts and prayers for a quick, complete recovery for your dad.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »
Yep, steroids can make you feel very strange (and awful), but even without the steroids, your dad may feel "not right" from the balance nerve being cut and just surgery in general...but talk to the docs for sure.  Are you out there also?  Give him our best even though he isn't comfortable coming on himself...and let us know if you have any other questions.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Klynn

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »
Thank you everyone for the replies... he is feeling better at the moment ( after eating ).  We also realized he may not have had enough liquids yesterday.  He was getting fluids straight from the IV up until the point he left the hospital.  Cindyj I am not in Los Angeles but keeping up to date from Tennessee.  My Mom is with him, though.  I am hoping she is taking proper care of herself! They had some close family friends there for the actual surgery but they had to come home last week.  I know my Mom is doing a great job, I just wish someone else could have been there to give her a break... it just wasn't possible for a number of reasons. 

Again, thanks guys and if I have any more questions I will post them.  I'm sure things will come up in the weeks ahead.

K.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »
Hi, Klynn ~

Welcome to the ANA discussion forums. 

As previous posts indicate, there really isn't a template for what is a 'normal' post-operative recovery following AN removal surgery.  The use of steroids has differing effects on each AN post-op patient but the admittedly vague comment from your father that he "doesn't feel right" could be associated with the effects of the steroids - as well as the physical trauma of a serious cranial surgery that probably lasted for hours. 

I was 63 and in good general health when I underwent my 9-hour debulking surgery (4 years ago).  I slept for most of the first 2 days immediately following my surgery but I was sitting in a chair by the third day, walking the halls by the fourth day and discharged on the morning of my fifth post-surgery day.  This is fairly typical.  However, I didn't feel anywhere near 'normal' until a few weeks following the surgery.   

As Clarice ('CHD63') stated in her message, your father is in good hands with Dr. Brackmann at HEI.  I'm sure he'll be happy to address any issues that may affect your father's recovery. 

I'm pleased to learn that the forums have been helpful to both you and your father.  I hope (and will pray) that his recovery progresses nicely, with no complications.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:25:03 pm »
Hi Klynn,
Hopefully your father is feeling  even better now with fluids. Not feeling right will probably be the name of the game for a while while he adjusts to life after brain surgery.
The more he gets up and walks, the better and faster he will recover.
Baby steps we call them. Listen to your body. Some days he may feel great, and then the next he may be wiped out from overdoing it without realizing it.
Drinking lots of fluids too!
Good luck to your dad!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:46:14 pm »
i remember feeling very funny, like I was jumping out of my skin, but my head also felt like a lead weight on top of my shoulders.  This "not feeling right" could be any number of things.  Just keep an eye out for anything that changes as there can be complications from the surgery as you already know. 
The hospital stay after surgery is not fun, so hopefully once he's up and about a little he will begin to feel more like himself. 

Try not to worry too much,

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

cecile k

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:47 pm »
Hi Klynn:

The best way I would describe the effects of steroids on my head was that I had 'mini explosions' going on - very strange. Sleep was very erratic as well. All the best and wonderful that you have found this group to try find some answers for your Dad.

Cecile

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:51:52 am »
I'm pretty sure "not right" is how you're supposed to feel after brain surgery.   ;D

In addition to what everyone else has said, I had a couple 'episodes' in the hospital which they attributed to a vaso-vagal response. I never lost consciousness, but felt hot, dizzy (er, extra dizzy), nauseated, and just generally bad. I couldn't describe it as anything else but "I just don't feel good. I feel like I'm going to die." Not trying to be scary here, it's not really a very worrisome thing except for making you feel bad. And for me it was only a few times while in the hospital.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy