Author Topic: Hair loss  (Read 2346 times)

patt

Hair loss
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:12:29 pm »
Hi --

I had my Radiation Oncology appointment this morning.  Very upsetting news to me was that I would lose my hair from the treatments.   My tumor is 2.7cm and my Dr is not comfortable treating me with CK.     He will treat me with traditional radiation - linear accelerator.   That news was very upsetting to me.  Do any of you have any info for me about hair loss??
     I will be seeing a surgeon next week for information about the open surgery.   These decisions are so stressfull.

Thanks for the help --- Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Hair loss
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:22:17 pm »
Patt ~

I had 26 FSR treatments and did not lose any hair.  I think this depends on the level of radiation used.  Mine was relatively low.  Initially my radiation oncologist told me that I would lose 'some' hair but later, just before my FSR began, said that he lowered the amount of radiation I would receive and that I wouldn't lose any hair.  I didn't.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:34 pm »
This sounds very strange. From what I have read in this forum, hair loss, if present, is very minimal with radiation treatment for ANs, unlike cancer treatment. I would seek a second opinion from the doctors at the Cyberknife forum http://www.cyberknife.com/forum.aspx.

Best wishes, you have a very difficult decision in front of you, especially with an AN of borderline size for radiation. Believe me I know.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

goinbatty

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »
It may have been me being paranoid after CK but several weeks following treatment, both sides of my head itched and my hair thinned some.  It was only noticeable to me though.  This could have also been related to menopause so who knows. 
I agree it might be a good idea to ask the docs on the CK forum.  Hope all goes well for you. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

patt

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »
Thanks --

This is such a great support group.  I did call the Dr's nurse again and talked about the hair-loss.  She did say that I would have hair loss at the site of treatment.  She couldn't tell me the size --- that would depend on the mapping by the Oncologist.

I will see a neurosurgeon on Friday to discuss my options and then we go out of town to see a neuro-otologist about the option of surgery.

This has been a very long journey for me and my family.   I am so ready for this to come to an end.  I hope that after these appointments, I will be able to come to a decisson.

I am NOT able to do the CK, because of the size    2.7cm.   The Dr wants to do conventional radiation, which is 5 days a week and 5 weeks of treatment.

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size