Author Topic: Invitied to participate in a research study  (Read 1800 times)

Esperanza

Invitied to participate in a research study
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:41:11 am »
Hello,

Don't post on here too often but come to read and catch up when time allows!

I just wanted to share that I have randomly been invited to take part in the COSMOS study (cohort study on mobile communications) here in the UK which will follow my health and phone usage for the next 20-30 years, contacting me annually to fill in a questionnaire etc...
... so I have filled in the first questionnaire and it has asked for a lot of detail on my usage of wireless technology over the last 10 years (including baby monitors and computers) also about my general health and hearing - it's quite a comprehensive study from what I can see.

Anyway, this sort of research is important and hopefully it will help them to come up with some definitive answers on the mobile phone debate eventually.

:)
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Lizard

Re: Invitied to participate in a research study
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:36 am »
Very interesting, well its good to see that there is a comprehensive study being conducted.  I'm sure the information will take time to compile. but hopefully the next generation of ANer's will benefit from it.
Thanks for sharing,
Liz
 :)
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:50:43 pm »
Yes, that IS interesting!  I've always been suspicious and use a headset.  Am always watching for reports such as this coming out in science journals.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:52 pm »
Interesting but I'd like to know who is sponsoring / paying for the study. If its the phone companies - then, well, it kinda weakens the outcome.

keep us informed.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

aaron28

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »
I would also like to know about the sponsorships leading this study. If it were cell phone companies, then I would ask for some results from an exclusive and unrelated researcher. Sometimes, its hard to find the data trustworthy when companies conduct the research themselves.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:23:33 pm »
Aaron -

did you see the information that the ANA recently sent out to members about cell phones and acoustic neuromas?

If you aren't an ANA member, you can find it on Facebook.  Someone posted a link.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:32:24 am »

did you see the information that the ANA recently sent out to members about cell phones and acoustic neuromas?

Jan, I did see this and found it very interesting.  ANA issuing a type of "warning" about cell phone use intrigues me.  Its been such a rumor...WHO is also an organization we should heed information from.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Esperanza

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:15:40 am »
Thought I would post a link for those who are interested.   It is supported by our Department of Health and I can't see any evidence of mobile phone companies lurking anywhere....

http://www.ukcosmos.org/index.html
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????