Author Topic: Itching, Redness???  (Read 2736 times)

Jackie

Itching, Redness???
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:18:20 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone has had itching, redness or thickening of the AN ear?  I get this 3-4 times a year and have for many years, though I was just diagnosed in Feb. 07 and haven't had any treatments yet. I don't know if it's related, and will check with my ENT on Wed., but would love to hear from any of you first.
Thank-you.
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

McFlorida

Re: Itching, Redness???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 01:16:47 pm »
Hello Jackie.  I had never really thought about the itching of my AN ear, but did have a problem for years with itching and dry skin of my ear just exterior to the ear canal.  That was long before my AN diagnosis.  My GP prescribed Fluticasone cream/ointment, which worked brilliantly.  I use a very small amount every 1 or 2 weeks, and I've never had a problem with the itching or dryness since.  I have never heard of the two conditions being related though.
6 x 12mm AN, Right-side, pre-treatment
Diagnosed 6/28/07. Retrosig 8/30/07.
Regrowth 1.2 x 1.6 x 1.5cm AN, Right-side.
Diagnosed 12/27/10. Treatment TBD.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:19:15 pm »
Hi, Jackie:

Just popping in to say 'hello' and mention that I didn't experience any redness or swelling of the ear where the AN originated (my left).

I think the tumor is basically internal but I suppose it might affect the outer ear.  You'll want to treat that condition, of course, no matter what the origin may be.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:19:40 pm »
Hello Jackie.  I had never really thought about the itching of my AN ear, but did have a problem for years with itching and dry skin of my ear just exterior to the ear canal.  That was long before my AN diagnosis.  My GP prescribed Fluticasone cream/ointment, which worked brilliantly.  I use a very small amount every 1 or 2 weeks, and I've never had a problem with the itching or dryness since.  I have never heard of the two conditions being related though.

Thanks for your input McFlorida, I'll mention the Fluticasone to my ENT. I have a cortizone cream, sort of like vasiline that I have used but it is for other things, so I'll see what yours is all about, probably more ear specific!
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Hank2

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:22:05 pm »
For what-ever-it-may-be worth, I am 3 mos post Gama-Knife of the LE and have incessant itching in the canal that is only temporarily relieved by Desonide or to a lessor extent DermOtic Oil.  Sure, I would like something that relieves the itching but I am more interested in the cause.  Ideas?