Author Topic: So here is the MRI pic, if this works  (Read 6152 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: So here is the MRI pic, if this works
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 02:46:53 pm »
Danielle ~

Whew!  I'm glad for your sake that the waiting is over.  I didn't realize that you had already been diagnosed with an acoutic neuroma and that this MRI was performed in order to define the size and location.  Still, at least you have the information you need.  As I've stated previously, I'm not a doctor but I have to question your doctor's comments about radiation being 'inflammatory'.  Radiation treatments usually do cause tumor swelling, which I suspect is what the doctor meant, but surgery is only performed if the radiation fails to arrest the tumor's growth, which is a small risk, at best, and the surgery wouldn't normally be attempted on a tumor that was swollen.  Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (associated with Harvard Medical School) is a fine facility that other AN patients posting here have used. Their Dr. McKenna is very popular with some of our Massachusetts-based posters.  Here is link to the Mass Eye &Ear Infirmary website: http://www.masseyeandear.org/.   I hope your AN 'journey' will be a realtively smooth one from this point, on.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

inmaine724

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 07:30:59 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I'm confused about the radiation thing as well.  I'm sure I'll know better once I go to Boston.  I'm very surprised I'm not "watch and wait".  It's so small...it doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you!
...Danielle

Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Update...
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 10:14:53 pm »
I asked about radiation and he said they generally don't do radiation in people who are surgical candidates because it can cause an 'incredible inflammatory process'??  What does that mean!??  

Good question.  When I was diagnosed my AN was 1.5 cm and I was given the choice of surgery or radiation by my neurotologist who performs both.  So I was a surgical candidate as well as a radiation candidate.

I've never heard of "incredible inflammatory process".

IMO, (and granted it, it's just my opinion since I am not a doctor) you could watch & wait.  Your AN is so small that unless it is causing you huge issues that are compromising your quality of life it's my feeling that you could leave it alone for a while. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:54 pm »
Again...no medical doctor here, but I am a science teacher and have seen quite a few scans.  Mine looked like it was ready to tee off on the 18th, so there was really nothing to discuss.  It had to go - soon.  But I know ANers with very small ones who still had similar symptoms and results as the rest of us with bigger ones.  So.....size doesn't always matter - at least not JUST size.  It's more like real estate...location, location, location.  Your surgeons will know best.  Good luck.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)