Author Topic: Return of the tear?  (Read 1964 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Return of the tear?
« on: May 17, 2006, 07:11:29 am »
Alright, so I had a two-stage surgery to remove a 3.5cm AN in 10/04 and 2/06, since my first surgery I haven't produced any tears in my left eye which my Dr's have said could come back. Two years later I still have nothing and have been using Refresh Celluvisc once an hour for the past two years. They work great to keep my eye lubricated, but are pretty expensive ($11-$15 per box) considering a box only last about a week and a half. They're not prescription, so insurance won't cover them, so I'm wondering if anyone found a way around that? Also, has anyone had the ability to tear return after as long as two years? I'm kind of giving of hope and accepting that I'll be using these drops for the rest of life, but when I think about the cost, there's gotta be some help out there somewhere.

Thanks!
Scott

Battyp

Re: Return of the tear?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:25:01 am »
They are tax deductible...I'd write the company and ask if you can buy them in bulk or if they can provide you with a supply.  My motto is it never hurts to ask..the worse they can say is no!
My eye only tears when I eat so can't answer that question  :(

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:29:50 am »
Scott, I recently got a punctual plug in my non-tearing eye. It has decreased the amount of times I need to lubricate my eye. It was a painless and very easy in office procedure. You may want to ask your opthamologist about it.  I've gone from using Lacrilube 4-6 times a day to 2 maybe 3 times. I tried Cellusvisic but I didn't like having to use it so often.

At my next visit he said I could try Restasis, which is prescription and only used 2x's a day.

As for tearing, I'm at almost 2 years post op and I have had days where my eye waters and stays moist and then it stops. I just keep the faith.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 11:06:56 am »
Those are good drops.. I use them myself, but one 1 or twice a day .. and then Larci-lube at night..

try the Lacri-lube .. it comes in a tube, I was using that during the day before .. my eye does seem to be better now!

and lately, I got some Refresh-Liquigel and its been good too.. it comes in a bottle, I got a double bottle on sale at BJ's !!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital