Author Topic: 20 days post op  (Read 2585 times)

tweety

20 days post op
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:36:36 am »
 :) Well tomorrow will be 3 weeks post op for me and I am improving daily. I am disappointed to have lost the hearing in my ear as my physician said that my hearing nerve reacted the same at the end of my surgery as it did at the beginning.  He was disappointed also in my failed hearing test.  The tinnitus is louder it seems or maybe just because I can't hear out of that ear.  I am navigating the house well but the outside is a big WORLD!   I never felt that before.  I was holding onto my husbands arm in my daily walks but can now navigate without support outside also. Each small step toward normalcy is an accomplishment.  I have some headaches daily but take extra strength Tylenol twice a day.  I do tire easily and take my daily nap!!!! Since I am always at work, it has taken awhile for me to get used to TV and all the shows.  I am trying not to overdo things and my body gives me the cue when I am tired. I find balance to be an issue when tired.  I don't like the anxious feeling I get sometimes when outdoors. I guess just continual walking will help this.  I am also doing exercises at home prescribed by a physical therapist.  Days go by quickly without much accomplishment but always a little improvement.

Right middle fossa by Dr. Chen/Dr. Aziz   Allegheny General 6/8/10. Discharged 6/12/10. Hearing loss right ear, tinnuitis, and balance issues. AN 7mmx4mm

kenneth_k

Re: 20 days post op
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:27:16 pm »
Hi Tweety.

I'm sorry that you lost your hearing. I may take some time to get used to.
The rest of your symptoms may also take a while, but to me it sounds like your doing all things right. Take it easy and listen to your body, while you try to regain balance through exercise and walks outside.

Best regards, Kenneth

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:49:43 pm »
tweety, I had that same anxiety the first couple of weeks too. I'm 6 weeks post op and I can assure you it gets better.

I'm sorry to hear about your hearing.

It sounds like you're moving along well though!

Patience helps :) I wasn't very patient and I paid for it in headaches.

In the words of Dory, just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Pretty soon the rip tide feeling goes away.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:11:08 pm »
Hi, Nancy ~

Thanks for your post!  I'm sorry to learn of your apparent hearing loss, but otherwise, based on your account of your first 3 weeks, post-op, I surmise that you're doing quite well and experiencing a relatively normal recovery.  The recovery process is always slower than we'd like (mine was - and I had no real complications) but time passes and you will see improvement.  I just pushed past any deficits (balance, mostly) during my recuperation and got back into my normal routine, even though it was tiring at times.  Within a few weeks, I was pretty much back to normal.  However, I have to add that after a few months I realized that I was much stronger than I had been those first few weeks, post-op, at home and recovering. I'll bet you will be, too - and it won't take all that long.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »
Tweety -

sounds like your recovery is going pretty much by the book.  Some days you'll find that you take two steps forward and one step back, but healing takes time.

Don't be in a rush to "get there".  Listen to your body and take things as they come.

As for the hearing, I ended up SSD after my retrosigmoid surgery.  I found that the BAHA was an incredible solution.  It's definitely not for everyone, but once your head is healed asked your doctor about trying the demo and see what you think.  You might also find that the TransEar would be a good option for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:25:23 pm »
So, you are actually already back to work??  Or am I reading that wrong?   
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:03 am »
Chin up Tweety--you'll be surprised and amazed at how well you'll adapt and overcome. We're a resilient lot us ANer's...stay positive and get back to your normal routine as quickly as you can...you'll feel even better!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.