Author Topic: Growth???  (Read 2338 times)

tenai98

Growth???
« on: July 03, 2010, 10:01:11 am »
In the last few weeks, I have been experiency new symptons....ache/pain in and around the eye socket...at first it was just every now and then...But lately its every day...and face feels more numb and I've been having headaches...minor ones but these symptons are new....never dealt with headaches, nor this pain/pressure (slight) in the upper cheek and eye area...ENT will be called tomorrow...MRI is scheduled for aug 9 and then I see ENT and oncologist mid sept....gonna see I can get MRI upped as well as doc appts....not liking this....All has been fine til now...but attack plan already made....radiation!!!  now cyberknife wont be up and running I believe til sept so if this sucker is growing I will have to deal with it ASAP...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Growth???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:38:46 am »
Jo ~

I'm sorry to learn about these troubling new symptoms and I certainly hope they don't indicate tumor growth.  Frankly, it would be unusual to see re-growth on an acoustic neuroma just ten months after surgery, but of course, the upcoming MRI scan will answer your question once and for all.  Please don't jump to conclusions - I know, easy for me to say - but having a 'Plan B' (CyberKnife) in place, is prudent.  Should the MRI show no growth, the new symptoms may just be part of the healing process, but your doctor can ascertain that after seeing the MRI and reading the report.  

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you deal with this latest development in your 'AN journey'.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:04:28 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:51:06 am »
Ditto to what Jim said--so sorry you're experiencing these new symptoms. Hang in there Kiddo. Thinking good thoughts for you.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:04:42 am »
Hi Jo,

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing these new symptoms!  I truly hope that your AN is not the gift that just won't stop giving and that there is some simpler and easier to treat cause for your symptoms.  It sounds like you already have a plan of action in place and I hope you can get the MRI and doctor appointments moved up.  In the meantime, if you find yourself feeling really anxious, of course, you have us to talk to, but maybe your doc can prescribe some Valium Xanax.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:27:37 am »
Jo -

sorry to hear you are having issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have regrowth.  There may be other reasons for what you are experiencing.

So, certainly be proactive (get that MRI), but try not to worry until you know what is really going on.

Please keep us posted.

Hoping for the best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 12:11:32 pm »
i just wanted to tell you that i am almost 10 years out and have had the same problems a lot over the years.  they are much less frequent now, but still can happen.  when it does happen, that fear of re-growth comes right back.  my last mri was 3 years ago and nothing yet.  i may go for a 10 year mri just to get it off my mind.  i know what you are going through, but in my case, my fears were never confirmed.  good luck.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Keri

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:06 am »
Jo,
I hope all is well and there's no regrowth either. I started having a few weird symptoms too, and assumed the worst, but all is well for now. I hope the things you're dealing with will subside.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:52:07 am »
Sorry you are experiencing symptoms. No fun! But just think that if you have to do something about it, you will and you will get through it just like before.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:36:04 am »
ok, I got ahold of the doc's office and this is our plan...I will go for my MRI on aug 9th as planned...then I can just call in for the results to see if there has been any change.  If not then I just keep my appts with ENT and Oncologist in Sept as a check in. The onconlogist wants to see me every six months even if no growth so I dont get lost in the system!!!!! Appt with ENT is for the BAHA checkup.  If growth appears, the its back to the drawing board where plans with the oncologist have somewhat been drawn.
If no growth, then I guess these new symptons will become a new norm and I will have to learn to live with them
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

satman

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:52 am »
looking at your residual tumor stats i would be floored if it had grown to the extent of causing these new symptoms.
saying a prayer for ya .
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !