Author Topic: Follow up MRI Question  (Read 1725 times)

rupert

Follow up MRI Question
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:35:42 pm »

I was just reading some posts on follow up MRI's.    It looks like many people get their follow up MRI's with and without contrast .   My question?

If they already know it's there why do they have to do with and without contrast.   Is it possible to just have the contrast?     That would cut down the
time in half.    I am looking at my first follow up next month and the less time in the tube the better as far as I'm concerned.  Or is there a reason that they still
need to do with and without?   Thanks for any info.      Bryan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Follow up MRI Question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:57 pm »
Bryan ~

I can't offer you a definitive answer but because of post-operative scarring (and swelling), my guess is that doctors want the best possible view of the area.  I also think that individual doctors will have different approaches.  My follow-up MRI scans were always with contrast.  However, the doctor ordering the MRI has the option to choose the type of scan and apparently, some choose an MRI  taken with and without contrast.  Assuming this bothers you, I would suggest asking your doctor if just one MRI scan is sufficient and if not, why not?  I'm sure, if you put the question to him in the right way, (politely)  he'll have a satisfactory response. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »
It is my understanding (although I may be wrong) that some information that the radiologists/physicians are interested in is better viewed without contrast. For example the flow of CSF fluid and the nerves. I can certainly see those better in my scans  without contrast. The tumor itself is of course better seen with contrast (although it is also visible without contrast to the trained eye knowing what to look for).
Let us know what answer you get if you decide to ask your doctor.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:30:29 pm »
Bryan -

My MRIs have all been done with and without contrast.

I've had a diagnostic MRI, plus three post op MRIs.  They typically start out taking some "shots" without the gadolinium and then inject it into my arm to complete the scan.  I think this is pretty standard procedure.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways